classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

One that got away...or not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: One that got away...or not? Reply with quote

Years ago I was told of a locally registered Singer 10 that was dragged out of a barn at the end of the village, I knew the chap who pulled it out and I know the chap who tried but could not rebuild tits very rusty/seized engine.

I always love a story and a Somerset registered car and this car has almost become mythical to us. I have tried without success to get to view or buy the car from its present owner, who I know bought it for a very small sum.

Move on a couple of years and we still wonder what he has done with the car then last weekend we were told that he had died and an auction was held, the car was one of the lots.

My disappointment at missing out didn't last long though, I found out after all the car was not Somerset registered, the engine is now missing, the floors are all gone, interior is rough and bodywork needs extensive repair. She sold for £1200 before fees (about £1000 more than he paid for it!), still a nice car but it has bust the local myth amongst us classic car enthusiasts.

Anyone else known about a car for years only to find out not all is what it seems?
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago their was a field near here with probably 20 or so interesting vehicles, including a Ford V8 ambulance, that had been used by Coventry ambulance service in World War II.It still had some paperwork in the dash. It still had the early type V8 engine. Several people tried to buy various cars but the owner would not sell. Suddenly they all disappeared. A relation who lived not far away told me a scrap man had come in and cut them all up.
emmerson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local scrap dealer had a Fordson tractor in his yard, which I fancied. On viewing it, I immediately lost interest, as behind it was an Austin A70 Hampshire pick-up! I'd seen a couple of Herfords, but never a Hampshire, so bid what I thought was a good price, to which he replied "Well, if it's worth that much to you, perhaps somebody will pay more for it". It later disappeared, and when I asked about tit he said he'd crushed it as no-one else wanted it!
I've never yet seen another like it.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to let this Mk1 Mini slip through my hands many years ago, to my lasting regret

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/mk1-mini-find.htm

And of course the P2, which has already had a mention recently

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/barnfindrover.htm

But I can't complain, I've managed to find a few interesting things over the years to keep me quiet.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interest goes back to school days. I was offered, while in senior secondary school, a Stutz Blackhawk for £40 Australian. Now how would a 15 year old acquire forty quid in the 1950's? Alas I had to turn away from it. Later that year I bought a 1918 TT Ford for a much more affordable £5.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early 60s my Dad took a Hudson in payment of a £25 debt. We took it out (uninsured!) to a couple of scramble meetings and just loved the rumble of the engine. Not sure of the model, and suddenly it disappeared from our drive. I still think of it from time to time though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: