classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Quality of modern vans...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Quality of modern vans... Reply with quote

Interesting story about a van that hit a low bridge, the photos are well worth seeing...

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/van-completely-splits-in-half-after-striking-notoriously-low-railway-bridge-074558279.html
Longstroke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an indictment on the van's construction. I note it was manufactured by a certain French manufacturer hitherto known for their innovation. I remember saying to a chap who was doing some welding for me a few years ago that I thought he probably didn't get much work in these days on modern vehicles. He reckoned not so, and that some modern small Western European hatchbacks needed welding after six or seven years.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longstroke wrote:
Bit of an indictment on the van's construction. I note it was manufactured by a certain French manufacturer hitherto known for their innovation. I remember saying to a chap who was doing some welding for me a few years ago that I thought he probably didn't get much work in these days on modern vehicles. He reckoned not so, and that some modern small Western European hatchbacks needed welding after six or seven years.

A friend had a new Citroen Cactus (I think) and after only 12 months or so, all four doors were replaced under warranty due to rust underneath. Not uncommon apparently with these, and certainly not a one-off.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many automotive products these days aren't quite what we would assume they are?

For example, how many new Vauxhalls are actually Peugeots in disguise?
Or are Citroen vans actually Peugeots.Vauxhalls/etc [insert makers name here?]....and maybe aren't even made locally?
I don't know where Citroen-badged 'over-2 tonne' [IE, not categorised as CDVs?] vans are made these days?

I'm afraid much store is made these days by the buying public, of acres of [thin] sheet metal.....[witness the popularity of the slab sided uber-panzers every make is flogging hilariously?] An acre of thin sheet metal is deemed to be armour plated quality? It's a psychological thing....if a thing looks heavy, it must be heavy, therefore must be good [or better] quality?

Nissan has had issues with the chassis integrity of their slab-sided, much feared [by others, not me] Navarra derivatives?.....They snap in two?

Perhaps we have entered an age whereby,if a product [van?] is going to sustain damage, it may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb, and get damaged properly, well & truly?

Today's cars fold up at the slightest excuse....[and still manage to inflict death & serious injury on its occupants...despite all the crash protection...if the local news is anything to go by?]

Perhaps this idea of new vehicles saving the planet, by being 'less polluting', is partly the reason? I mean, we can't go around actually repairing the things, can we? [Does anyone know how much damage to the environment actually scrapping a modern , crashed car, causes? Is that factored into the argument anywhere?]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Longstroke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most green car is one that's already made. Throw in infinite repairability and that would then come down to a Series LandRover, vintage Bentley (both probably green in colour, too), Reliant Scimitar etc etc

My in-laws had a Fiat Panda (post 2003 type) and in the owners handbook it stated it was 100% recyclable. Not sure what that exactly means in practice.
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have seen quite a few brand new FWD vans on transporters.
They were front sections only being taken to other sites or companies to have the rear chassis/wheels and bodies added later.
There must be weak point where the join is.
Never had that problem with RWDs.

The Vauxhall and Renault range use the same bodies.
Vivaro = Traffic
Movano = Master
Don't know about the engines.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivaro and Traffic also share the body with the Nissan Primastar.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
They were front sections only being taken to other sites or companies to have the rear chassis/wheels and bodies added later.

Vivaro = Traffic
Movano = Master

I spotted a pick up with a very low bed that was obviously FWD the other week. Looked smashing for loading the large mower it was carrying (too large to be lifted even by several big men) but I bet speed humps could be a problem. The idea has been around a while, last new washing machine a few years back came in a FWD van with a similarly low floor that would have no need of a tail lift, but I was surprised they managed to manouvre it to where they did, I bet it scraped on the way!
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of washing machines, ours finally expired after 22 years. Bosch still had a few parts available on line but not what I needed sadly. The new Samsung came with a statement that spare parts will be available for three years. Our TV expired after six years and nothing is available either. Saving the world? Don't make me laugh.
emmerson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi

Vivaro = Traffic
Movano = Master

They might have going to motorhome makers, to have wider longer rear chassis fitted, then large luxury bodies on top. Costalottamoney!
D4B

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reminded of this:

https://youtu.be/t6QsPIcV0nM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: