classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

WHAT SMITHS TACHO HAVE I GOT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by coincidence was scrolling down a page on a Mini tuning site, and saw mention of a 0-8k tacho very similar to this one

http://www.mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/mk1_classic_tuning.htm

although no mention of RVI on the face of this one

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will have to spend some time looking at that site!!

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah some interesting Mini tuning stuff on there

I still fancy an early Cooper S, ideally in cream with a black roof, sat on reverse rims. Have to be a good 'un though, don't think I'd want a project Min (especially after having a close look at that '60 woodie I salvaged from Lancashire a while back). I've got a few Mini tuning bits here so it'd put them to good use if I got a Min one day

Rick.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will keep my eyes and ears out for you, sometimes people aproach me and say they have a mini for sale. I will let you know, should I find one.

If you did want a project I know where there is an extremeley rare Radford mini, but it does need work!!

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any photos of the Radford? be interested to feature it on the main site if possible in the photo section too

cheers
Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, I've had an idea for a Mini special for quite a while, maybe nows the time to do it?
admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ, what kind of Mini special did you have in mind? V8 in the back? I've always had a soft spot for Q cars, ie cars with uprated (but in period!!) engines, but that look virtually standard from the outside. A straight 6 into a Standard 10 is one idea I have in the back of my mind Smile if I could find a rolling car missing its running gear, it'd be a fun thing to try. I wouldn't dream of modifying a complete, or otherwise good example though!!! Very Happy

But for now I've enough on my plate Very Happy

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one of those stupid ideas that we (I) get from time to time!

I remember reading of some fibreglass bodied Minis that were made in Chile or Turkey or somewhere. I believe also that there was a British company that did them as well. Then somewhere else I read about aluminium front and rear subframes. There weren't many problems with Mini mechanicals, so mix them all together, and it should be an incredible car! Then, as if that weren't enough, there used to be a Lotus twin cam engined mini doing the Hillclimb circuit in the late '60's / early '70's, which means a Ford engine can be fitted to the gearbox....

I could even be persuaded to put a few together, if we could find everything!
admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago my uncle had a Cox GTM, with a hotted up 1275 Mini engine in the back. It was a sporty 2 door machine, fibreglass, and went like a rocket .. til a Vauxhall Carlton ploughed into the back of it Crying or Very sad

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Cox, as well as some of the others that were on the market about the same time, such as a old favourite, the Mini Marcos.

I suppose that a mini based kit car would be a better basis, but a Mini that still looks like a Mini, with no rust problems, and more power... Ahhh, Bisto!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really my cup of tea for a road car but you want to have a look at Z-cars, they are building a totally new fibergass car, but in the shape of a mini. It can be powered by numerous engine combinations, but the twin hyabusa engines sound fun!! My mate has a stock car with two fireblade engines in the back, you can pull wheelies really well and can reach 60 in just over two seconds!! One engine powers one rear wheel so it has no diff making it really good fun!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: