classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Fairey Gannet
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Fairey Gannet Reply with quote

Hey Rick, are you the owner of all those cars and the Gannet? I hadn't realised just how experienced you are!

How much did the Gannet cost you, do you mind me asking? And could you let us see some pics........I know it isn't a wheeled vehicle, as such, but you mentioned it first.

How is the ATC coming along with it?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rivet

Sorry I missed your post, hence delay in replying!! yup I've had a few vehicles, including half share in that Gannet section.

Story is we (dad & I) bought the Gannet cockpit after finding it behind a museum looking a little forlorn (£not a lot). We stored it for a while at an old airfield, and then a friend of dads (who is involved with an ATC squadron) asked if they could use it as a project to restore etc. That was a few years back. I've not seen it since (!) although dad has been in contact from time to time with the guy in the ATC, I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of it too actually!! I'll see what pics I have to hand and post them on here.

cheers
Rick
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok a pic from a few years ago when we had to move it. Note: I'm not in these pics!!!

cheers
Rick
Very Happy

Last edited by Rick on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Isn´t the Gannet that one of those ugly things that has two engines driving one prop? Or should I call it a cooling fan....because when they stop spinning, the pilot starts sweating!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup thats the one, a plane that only its maker could love the look of

Rick.
Very Happy
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner look at a Gannet than my mother-in-law!
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Unc

(contra-rotating props)

Yeah, weird looking aircraft. But I like bits of aeroplanes. Had my eye on the wreck of a Lightning at one time; and now I mention it I did have an ejector seat for a few years but selling that paid for my stretcher / shrinkers. I have a Jet Provost wing tank....but am always interested in anything like this that comes along. I sold a personal survival pack (bum part of ejector seat) to a bloke restoring a complete jet...can't remember what)

Incidentally, I collect machineguns too. Willing to do a deal on those for anything interesting, if anyone wants to make an offer.
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics, Rick. Keep us posted.
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to get dad to chase up the Gannet, we've not heard about it for a while - don't want to lose touch with it altogether!!!

I sold a door from a Canberra bomber a little while back on ebay, wasn't sure if anyone would bid but amazingly a guy in Sweden bid, coz the Canberra in his museum was missing a door! the power of the internet eh!?

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats even more amazing, is that I think that I can give you details about the Canberra, I've seen it quite a few times!
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe course, I forgot you were over in Sveden. Has it got a door on it now? would be interested to see a pic if my old door is now in place Very Happy

R
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I saw it, it didn't have. Of course, that was a while ago. When I get the chance, I'll go and have a look at it, and take some photos. Assuming its the same Canberra, (a MkII B) are you aware that it is part of a collection that includes classic cars and motorcycles, as well as aircraft?
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the collection, although I may have a photo of the Canberra in an old email from the door's buyer, might take some rooting out though Wink

R
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a look on the museums website, I thought that they might have some Canberra photos on it, but they dont.

I did find out that they are closed until May next year though.

Are you thinking of going to the Bremen show?
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naaa, someone sent me a press release so I bunged it on the site, can't see me going Smile

Rick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: