classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Concorde
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Concorde Reply with quote

Interesting site if you have any interest in the wonderful Concorde:

http://www.save-concorde.co.uk/

Could getting one back in the air actually happen? possibly, if the right signatures were obtained. And a few million was raised to get one re-commissioned. Sadly few could be rejuvenated back to airworthiness. A few are dotted around the UK, and some went overseas (including one on a floating pontoon thing - exposed to salty air and in a disgraceful condition inside from reports I've read). G-BOAC isn't far from here, on show at Manchester. Hopefully they'll get it indoors as being outside won't do it any favours long term.

Favourite for airworthiness may be an Air France example, tended by a dedicated band of enthusiastic French people, with many of its systems still in working order.

Rick.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My support has been left, it would be a great sight!

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine too, soon there'll be nothing left to 'fly the flag' with in this country. With so many companies going bust, or falling into foreign hands, there'll be precious little left for us to celebrate. We may have been 'Great' Britain once, but it doesn't often feel like it lately!!!

Next year the Vulcan Cool should be flying, for the first time since 92 or 93, so that'll definitely be something to look out for.

R
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the last Vulcan fly some years ago at Barton when they had the airshow there.
I remember it did a low pass and set off almost every car alarm for miles Very Happy
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my lasting memory of the Barton airshow is seeing the Sally-B B17 flying very low over the motorway bridge as it flew into the display area. Oh and a conversation between the Tower and the pilot of a USAF F4 being relayed over the tannoy, saying he couldn't locate us, while we watched him fly over at a few thousand feet Very Happy I guess we were directly below and possibly tricky to see, but it gave us a giggle when we were kids

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Barton air show brings back sad memories for me, due to it being the venue where the last flying Mosquito crashed.

For good memories, I was at Duxford in 2000 for flying legends. To see Spitfires and Hurricanes scramble together, and later "dogfight" with an equal number of P51's was a sight and sound that I'll never forget.

Incidentally, if enough people are interested, I may possibly be able to organise a flight in a B17G!
admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could fill a B17 quite easily with enthusiastic passengers, no problem, just say when!!

I remember the Mosquito coming down, I didn't attend that show for some reason (we usually went as a family). Mum's dad used to be a navigator in Mossies, and flew all kinds of aeros between the wars.

I did attend the Barton show when a replica (2/3 scale was it?) P51 went in. My parents and bro were at Woodford when the Rolls-Royce owner Spit crashed, I don't remember why I wasn't there, but I'm glad I wasn't.

The airshows at Barton and Woodford were good events though (despite the sad prangs, a risk with all flying), shame neither is held any more.

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, the next available dates are the 18th / 19th November, so it would be a bit tight... I can find out when the next dates are!

But be warned. You need your passport!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really into planes but remeber building a model of something simmilar to a b17, probably was something totally different, but to the untrained eye it looks simmilar.

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good! and the cost of such a trip airborne??? is this in the States or closer to home?

R
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its in the US. The one that I was thinking of does (or did) it for donations, the other for somewhere around $400. I can get an exact price if you want, but I know it varies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: