classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Strange craving
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Strange craving Reply with quote

I've recently developed a desire to own something unusual, impractical, and obsolete.
I know, I know... the cars I have already are all that, but why do I find myself wanting a 50's Simca Aronde?

There's also a little Fiat topolino estate on ebay at the moment and I'm very tempted by that too! Just thinking of the headache of running one and accumilating spares should put me off but no... I'm still tempted!

In my more lucid moments I consider a more 'sensible' alternative as an everyday runner, like perhaps a phase 3 Vanguard/Vignale, or Austin a55.

Is there a medical name for these urges?... is there a cure?
admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sounds perfectly healthy to me (although perhaps I'm not the best person to advise, having 'suffered' from similar hoarding tendencies for the last 20 years or so)

The obvious benefit of getting a Topolino is the difficulty of finding parts in this country, with the net result that you'll have to spend 3 or 4 weeks in Italy tracking the parts down Wink could win some brownie points with that one! why do you think I chose to rescue an old Dodge, inevitably I'll have to go on a spares tour of the US junkyards one day Cool

The A55 does sound a bit too easy, with a Vanguard and Somerset on the drive, it sounds like you need something that'll really test your parts-hunting skills!!!!!

There is no cure BTW Very Happy

Rick
(now get back to ebay!)
rustyreks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old nail i do have the same desire to buy old cars what drives that i dont know i havent seen a pschaiatrist yet and have started collecting old reel mowers and stationary engines plus old utes i love old machinery i have enough jobs already that i probably will never finish and if someone offers me another old mower i would happily accept it.All i can say is that i enjoy collecting old bits and pieces i love pottering and fixing things.If you were to buy these foreign cars you will need at least a spare car for bits that could pose a problem.I own a vanguard series 3 not a vignalle though but i think its an awesome piece of machinery they are so solidly built i own a 59 ute that i am restoring Rick has put the photos on his classic cars site if you wanted to see them.Still alot to do but it is taking shape.You probably are already thinking of building another garage.
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another garage? Laughing I wish!

My driveway holds six cars and it's full! I have various combinations of tarpaulin and gazebo type constructions as shelter.. needless to say my neighbours appreciate my eyesore, er.. attempts at preserving old vehicles!

Actually the Topolino idea might not have been so bad, I just saw an identical one on German ebay for 8000 euro's, bet I could have had the British one for one quarter of that price! Export anyone? Wink
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saw that one ending funnily enough, smart little machine!

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: