classic car forum header

Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

Introductions thread - say hello and introduce yourself :-)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All other cars & vehicles.
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Introductions thread - say hello and introduce yourself :-) Reply with quote

Never occurred to me until I saw the other post by James N, but an introductions thread at the top of this category would seem like a good idea.

Anyway, me is admin. I set up the main http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/ site a few years back, and added the forum on a little while back.

I do internety stuff, working for myself from home, after years working for a large bank at their IT headquarters. Chucked that in at the start of 2004, took the pay-off and ran. Have collected old cars, vans, pickups and all the junk that goes with them since 1985 or so, when I first got my hands on a Mk3 Spitfire. Since then have owned a variety of jalopies in varying states of (dis)repair, and still have a few dotted about the place. Oldest classic in the present fleet is a '34 Austin, newest classic is a '60 A40 Mk1 in pieces (moderns don't count here!).

So thats me Very Happy and you???

Rick.

Last edited by admin on Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Not got alot to say about myself but here goes!

I am called David, I live in south cheshire and as a job I am helping a local blacksmith. I am trained as an agricultural engineer and used to work on cropsprayers.

I have been interested in old minis since I was about 12, buying my first one, the sidewalk when I was 16, I bought the clubman estate last winter and have recently purchased one of ricks E83W for pickups to play with!

I also collect old tools and hoard lots of other things!

I am interested in making little websites and also want to learn lots about car restoration/painting ect.

My other hobby is bees, me and my farther have 5 hives that will double next year hopefully.

See www.minisidewalk.co.uk for more info on my cars.

My Estate

My sidewalk

My pickup

.... and finaly me! (on the penny farthing that I made)

Stuchamp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Denny.
I'm just an old gearhead who's been around cars, motorcycles, etc, since I was a kid. Spent about 25 years working at Buick and Chevy dealerships as a mechanic and then later as wholesale manager in the Chevy parts dept. I'm now retired.
Have rebuilt quite a few cars, boats, engines, etc., and did a lot of racing over the years.
Like almost anything having to do with vintage transportation, cars, trucks, boats, steam powered trains, racing, and old warbirds.
I'm located in Iowa of the u.s.a. and became a grandfather earlier this year. Very Happy

Have been chatting with Rick (admin) for about the past 6 years I think.
That sound about right Rick? Time sure has flown by.
Anyway, Thanks for starting this forum as it's a great place to meet other CarNuts and to learn about what goes on across the big pond. Smile

Me and a B57 at the SAC Museum.

Last edited by Stuchamp on Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so what can I tell you about myself?

Well, I was born in God's own country, ie Lancashire in the North West of England. The town, you can guess from my handle. If that doesn't help, it has the worlds best Rugby League team. Since '82 I have been living and working in Sweden. I retired due to ill health 18 months ago. Until that, I had been working as a Design and Development Engineer, which took me all over the world. I guess one thing that makes me unique is the fact that as well as the theory bit, I can manage the practical. I can weld, mill, turn, refinish etc.

I first became interested in vehicles around 1964/5, did my first restoration before I left school, and dont care to think how many since then! Current fleet comprises of a 1970 Lincoln Continental Coupe, and a 1965 Chrysler 300. I'm not counting my motorcycle, as thats being sold!

As long as its mechanical, I dont care what it is! Any kind of engine, steam, two stroke, four stroke, diesel, jet, they are all the same to me! And any amount of wheels, from 1 upwards, or for that matter, wings! As far as cars go, I tend to prefer US or Italian. I do however, have my pet car hates. Included here is everything from France, every Volvo ever made since the Amazon, and everything German, excluding VW and Borgward! In British cars, BL and Rootes are good, as well as some Fords and Vauxhalls. Why did the latter two companies stop making cars after the mid '60's?

Just like others on the forum, I've done a bit of racing, in my case on two wheels (now and again). Theres more, but that all for now!

Where did I find the time?
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Nick, I'm 20.
I live in Hertford and have inherited my grandad's Austin, which I hope to restore and drive some time in the future (as soon as I've passed my driving test).

Last edited by Nick on Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I posted originally here http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1615
so no need to duplicate the post, there is a pic of me on the other post too but just in case you missed it here I am!

PACresta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Intro Reply with quote

My name is Pete age 51 and live near Lincoln. My first motoring preferences were with VW's, Beetles and Campers. That was probably because my father owned a Split Screen camper and had so many good times. I settled down to work on the railway and have spent most of my years in signalling. I did have a 7 year spell in the motor trade selling aftermarket parts for VW / Audi.
My venture into classic cars didn't really start until 5 years or so ago. I got the urge to own a Vauxhall Cresta PA, my experiences of travelling in one as a kid obviosly stuck with me. I am now in the middle of restoring my 1960 PA (as most of you will know). My restoring abilities are not on the same scale of many of you here but i have enjoyed the work i have done on my PA. I have farmed the welding and spraying out, i can just about cope with the rest, i.e. stripping and re-assembly.

Rivet_101

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Pete Reply with quote

Hi
I am Pete, 43. Rivet was my nickname at the first primary school I taught at; the 101 comes from the fact that I am restoring an Austin 101. This picture is of me and my gang the day we moved it through two neighbouring gardens to get it land-locked next to my workshop (which means I can't fall out with my neighbours or I will never get it out again!). That's me in the middle.

Below is a bad picture of Mantis, my Lamb Chop, which won best scooter at the 1999 Bristol Bike Show; Bristol is where I am from, though I live in Ipswich now. Shortly after this I rode the chop to the Isle of Wight with a huge gang of scooterists...fantastic experience. Those are prescription goggles. They steam up easily and when I was pushing Mantis off the ferry the deck-handler told me to bloody well hurry up so I had to pull my goggles down and ride off.....BLIND. When I got the goggles up my mates had motored off assuming I was behind them. Trouble is, I didn't know what our campsite was called. I followed some guys who looked like they knew where they were going but they stopped when they saw me and refused to go on. They were Mods and because I am a Rocker (choppers are anathema to purists) I was lucky they didn't lynch me. Riding back to Bristol after a superb weekend I had a heat seizure but pulled the clutch in quickly enough and it was ok. Another guy was less lucky and lost his back wheel.

Here's me taking the engine out of the 101. After a year of working outside in all weathers (under tarps etc) I built an extension to my workshop but I still don't have road access....so still have to keep those neighbours sweet.

I wanted to include a pic of me in my Ford Prefect but can't find one. This is the closest I could do. It is a cake made by a speech therapist at my last school the day they said goodbye at the end of the contract. It is shaped like my Prefect, which was a frequent sight in the carpark. They asked what I wanted with the whip-around money, so I got them to get me brake linings for the 101 (which beat the wine or flowers which people normally get).
rustyreks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Brent NZ A40 ute,vanguard ute,forson thames..New member Reply with quote

Hello i have just joined the group and have an interest in old cars vintage mowers am currently in the process of restoring the above vehicles.Plus have a collection of 1940s-1950s reel mowers and other machines rotary hoe, heavy roller all villier driven engines.I have been restoring the utes for about 2 years its a tight budget so it is a slow process and am doing as much of the work as possible myself as enjoy learning and fixing things.Have saved up enough to buy a good compressor and mig welder to do the spray painting and welding.The utes needed alot of rust work previously borrowed a mates mig to get the job done but better to have my own gear.Have been collecting car manuals and have a reasonable library of early british cars and american cars up to 1950s if anyone was needing some info i may be able to help.Also enjoy repair books written from the 30s to the 50s as often alot of practical advice on repairing things in general.They were written when people fixed and repaired there own machinery.Look forward to joining in on the discussions. Rustyreks
Standardsteve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chaps I'm steve from the east of England I'm 44 with a wife and three kids, I used to be in the motor trade serving my time first in a Leyland garage in the late 1970s then a Renault garage in the early - mid 1980s Ive left the trade and after a few other jobs Im now a driving instucter. I've long had an interest in "old cars" I guess going back to my time at Leyland when we still used to work on and service many cars from the fifties and sixties with even the odd 1940s car (A 10hp Rover, Triumph Mayflower and Renown springs to mind) working in the trade at that time I learnt from many old masters who are now long gone and learnt skills like lead loading and all types of welding that still come in usefull today. I'm on the commitee of the Lowestoft Classic Vehicle Club. check out our web page, ahttp://www.lcvc.co.uk/ At the momment I have three cars, A) a 1949 Rover P3 four light saloon (love of my life) B) A 1956 Standard Ten and C) a 1967 Daimler 2 1/2lt V8 saloon (Jag Mk. 2 shape) all are on the road though the Standard is a rolling resto. and the Daimler is undergoing an engine inspection to find the cause of a strange noise that appeared in September. Thats about it chaps I,ll sort out some photos of the "fleet" and post them here later
Standardsteve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry Standardsteve again, try just typing in www.lcvc.co.uk as when I clicked on the link in the last post it came up page unknown, ps crap photo but my Rover is the car on the left of the four photos on the site's home page. Regards Steve
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a "hello" to introduce myself and say I'm looking forward to spending some time just chilling in here from a busy schedule.

I'm a Volunteer at the Museum of Transport in Glasgow (more of that later in another thread the Admin has asked me to do) and a classic car owner. Worked in Glasgow Fire Service / Strathclyde Fire Brigade for 25 years and then got involved with the museum about 6 years ago, where I've become completely involved with the history of motoring in Scotland and the UK.

This is our pride and joy, a 1957 Chevrolet 210 4-door Sedan (210's are one trim level down from the iconic Bel Air) that we've owned for 11 years now. 5.7 litre V8, 15 mpg even with an octane booster to keep the sparkle (we don't get 4-star in Scotland!) -

The photograph was taken at a car show in Dundee, where a dealer generously emptied his showroom so the club could display a selection of members cars - and it didn't even rain that day. Cool
redfordmk2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.
My name is Steve and Iím from Warrington, Cheshire. Iím a 54 year old HGV driver working for Coca Cola. Iím a member of North West Casual Classics club, based in Penketh, Warrington, and edit the clubís monthly newsletter. I am also a member of the Consul, Zephyr, Zodiac MKll Ownerís Club and run the website at www.freewebs.com/fordczzmkll. I used to edit the club magazine too, but Iíve had to give this up through lack of time.

I like to live and breath classic cars rather than have a modern car plus a trailer queen just for shows. My current every day car is a 1985 Mercedes Benz 200 (W123) which has only done 96000 miles. I bought this on eBay about a year ago after the rear suspension on my 1977 Triumph 2500S made a break for freedom through the floor Sad . My wife, Jill, has a 1964 Ford Anglia which she uses every day and I also have 1961 Ford Zodiac Mkll (see Jolly Thresher posts. Its the maroon/grey one).

We also have a 1968 Cheltenham Sable caravan. This was another eBay purchase for weekend shows after deciding we didnít like tents after all.

I am the second owner of the Zodiac. The first owner bought it new in Sheffield and only sold it when he retired back to his home country of Jamaca. I am the second owner of the Mercedes. My wife is the third owner of the Anglia and it came with a thick file of every invoice/reciept since new. The caravan had been in the same family since new and was put up for sale when the ownerís father (the original owner) had died.
OPEL PARTS GREECE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our best & warm greetings from Greece

Sincerely yours
Anthony Drosos
Opel spare parts sales / Export Manager
Athens-Greece
E-mail: alpharm@otenet.gr
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm Dave, live in Nantwich Cheshire.

I have 3 old cars;
1939 4 door Morris 8 Series E, was on the road started a rolling restoration and tidy up ,which developed into a body off nut and bolt bare metal job !
1957 MGA roadster , bought as rolling shell and boxís of bits another body off nut and bolt job.
1976 Triumph Stag on the road and I use it as often as possible in any weather.

I work in IT although my background is electrical & electronic engineering, car electrics are straight forward to me, if you need any help ask.

I did a vehicle body restoration course at night school in Chester about 10 years ago, (college in Handbridge) donít know if it still runs, but was excellent, we covered gas & mig welding, lead loading, metal shrinking, panel beating, panel fabrication. It was a formal 12 weeks and then you could rejoin and use the facilities to do what ever on your own car panels.

Just completed building my own replacement garage, which is why have done very little with the cars over the last 18 months, its just about there, as I move stuff in I intend to have a spares clear out , canít remember how, but have boxís of stuff for cars I will never own ! Iíll stick them in the ďfor saleĒ section of this forum first and if no takers put them on eBay.

Trying the Series E for size!

Even teenage daughters have to earn their keep in our house!

Garage just about complete! vehicle restorations can continue !

This is the best pic I can currently get of the Morris 8. The shell has been stored in a corner of my shed whilst the garage was being built, now I have a grown up mecano kit to assmble!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All other cars & vehicles. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 1 of 36

Jump to: