classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

chromium plating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
clascar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: chromium plating. Reply with quote

I have just had a couple of boot hinges done. One has come out like new but the other one still shows a few slight pits under the new plating.
They are good enough for my purpose, but if I wanted perfect results next time is there something extra that can be done? The hinges are some sort of alloy not sure if it's mazak.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not certain anyone has devised a way sucessfully and permanently plating or replating Mazak.

Some have sucessfully filled holes with solder and had them copper plated - they have looked really good for a while but new pimples appear and plating starts to lift again. It only needs a slight knock on an edge or a scratch from a key or ring with a gemstone in to break the film

This also applies where overall size has been reduced and replating.

There must be different compositions of Mazak - this may account for the fact that some pit very quickly and others do not hardly at all even on the same car. They may well even have been manufactured at a different time originally so could be different ages as well.

Recasting of the component in brass is the only certain way round it if you can find someone to replicate an original
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Kaybee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about this to a chrome plater a few weeks ago, his method is to clean and polish the item, dig out any pits and then copper plate the item. Then you can solder the pits and dress them off. then it's re coppered and polished, if it comes out satisfactorily, then it's ready for the rest of the chrome process.If not, do it again...and again.... You can see how labour intensive this can be , and with no guarantee of a good result ,which is why many platers won't get involved in it. It has to be something really special to justify the time required, cheers, Col.
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is chrome plating expensive and is there anyone in Central Scotland does it.?
andycars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience new old stock chromework usually works out cheaper (depending on rarity & availability of course). If you go down the rechroming route, e.g. with bumpers, make sure the parts are straight to start with as each dent will be charged for as a repair on top of the chroming cost. You get what you pay for, and should choose a plater whose work you have seen and are satisfied with. Also, talk to them about the process as, though I'm no expert, I think the best use copper, then nickel then chrome layers for longevity.

Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: