classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

windscreen rubbers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
gerry snelling

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: windscreen rubbers Reply with quote

hi i need to replace the windscreen rubber on my armstrong siddeley sapphire 346. has anybody done one,
jensen541

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerry
I haven't done one on armstrong siddeley sapphire 346 but I suspect it'll be the same sort of technique as my Amazon. Which is the string in the rubber channel and pulling through from the inside. Better done with two people, one keeping pressure on the screen. You can use some lubricant too, something like washing up liquid works well. Hope that helps.
gerry snelling

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: windscreen rubber Reply with quote

hi jensen the windscreen is in a crome frame, and i suspect it is screwed in from the inside. and i think the dash has to come out thanks for your sugestions
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently restored the windscreen frame on my Trax it is Aluminium extrusion though and has an internal rubber seal and external seal to body as it is open able via a turn screw.
It was in 2 sections with a Stainless cover clip over each join.

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
mid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldnt use washing up liquid.... contains salt! was a long time ago but when i did one with the string method on my golf i used wd40. also i used a thin bit of wire rather than string as it didnt drag on the rubber as much
gerry snelling

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: windscreen rubber Reply with quote

thank tou for your sugestions, it is not an opening screen. i have removed the wood from the inside of the screen and can see small brackets with two screws in each. some at the top and on each side, i cant see along the bottom and think the dash has to come out
gerry snelling

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: windscreen rubbers Reply with quote

i have now got the screen out,i had to remove the dash, there are 12 brackets around the screen with selftappers in to the body, 4 at the bottom behind the dash board whitch is full length across the car.
gerry snelling

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: windscreen rubbers Reply with quote

hi all the screen is now back in. it would not come out untill i removed the dash. the dash is wood and goes the whole with of the car. this means i had to remove eight switches four warning lights the speedo and instrument cluster.if you were unluck enough to break a screen. the work envolved would almost make it a wright off happy motoring gerry snelling
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: