classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Whats the P stand for ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Millie Vanillie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Whats the P stand for ? Reply with quote

In my 1955 Austin A35 there are 3 buttons below the speedo -

W = Wipers

H = Heater

P = haven't got a clue !!

At the moment it doesn't seem to activate anything - I assumed it might be 'parking' lights but maybe disconnected so not working ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks!
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millie,

From memory it's the dash lights (panel lights). Turn on the sidelamps and then try it.

Art
Millie Vanillie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha !!

Thanks Art that makes sense as up until now when driving in the dark the interior is completely black ! Most odd when you consider that most modern cars light up like Christmas trees at night ....

I will give it ia go, thanks again.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All older cars had panel light switches to save the battery particularly when parking on the road at nights on all roads as until approx 1969 was illegal without side /tail lights being on (as it still is where there is a speed limit above 30mph with or without street lights - as some non-locals find out round here when they do not notice the 40mph signs and are ticketed).

Even though most panel lights were only 2-3w - unless there were several instruments - but every one counted in the winter to save battery load

This why single parking lights were sometimes built in or side lights switchable to one side only or even the window clipon plug in versions were used.

Rover's panel lights were wired into the ignition circuit rather than the light circuit but still had a switch
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Millie Vanillie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am pleased to report that the P switch does indeed operate the panel lights as you suggested.

So, now I can see just how slowly I am driving in the night aswell as the day ! Fantastic Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: