classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Found after 47 years Costin-Nathan car
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Mike Flanagan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Found after 47 years Costin-Nathan car Reply with quote

Hi
its a long shot but i wonder if anyone could help me.
I am trying to trace a Roger Nathan believed to be living in North Wales.

The beginning was the Costin Sports Racer, built by Frank Costin in the mid-sixties. After this one of car, Frank began to construct a new, little smaller sports-racer, fitting it with a Roger Nathan imp engine. So it was named and sold as the Costin-Nathan. The first two cars were open one’s, all the later built one’s were coupes.

I have found a post on the Atlas F1 bulletin board from a man called Bruce Mansell who as been in touch with Roger Nathan , however it says that Roger can’t recall who he sold the first prototype to in 1967 and that he raced it in 1966. Bruce Mansell as the second Costin-Nathan prototype. And I have tried to contact Bruce but with no luck.

I believe there were two open top cars constructed by Costin-Nathan, the first prototype was made of a Alloy body The cars were raced largely in Britain in 1966 and 1967. In '66 Nathan raced the open car with the alloy body, six times and won his class five times and was second once. He also set five new class lap records.
and the second was a plywood and fiber glass construction.

The reason I need contact Roger or Bruce, I believe I have found the first prototype locked away in a good family friend’s garage for over 47 years.
Roger Nathan sold him the car in 1967 as an open top car with an imp engine in it. My friend changed the car with the help of Roger by putting a hard top on it and swopping the imp engine for a Lotus twin cam and Hewland gearbox. He still as the original open doors and windscreen. If anyone can help me find much information on it or put me in touch with Roger Nathan it would be a grate help. Has I believe this car could be the first prototype. I had a good look at the car and found that the main body is made of some type of Alloy.

Please if you could help me in any way, I would be grateful

Thanks

Mike Flanagan
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've got an old photo of a Costin-Nathan fixed-head coupe in a 60s paddock (Brands maybe)

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

If you know roughly where in North Wales he lives you might get the info you want from the 2001 census which I believe is available online.

Art
Mike Flanagan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]

Thanks guys

Mike
victor 101

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, Roger Nathan is listed as running The North Wales 4X4 Centre, they have two depots, one in Old Colwyn and the other in Pen-y-groes. Wether this is your man or not I don't know, but might be worth a phonecall.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, this is the old photo I found, thought it might be of interest:
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/costin-nathan.htm

Any news on the project?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alvin cohen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to mike flanagan I was a friend and general gopher for the Nathan team from1961 onwards.I am still in regular contact with Roger and if you wish I will ask him to get in touch.
Just let me have your contact details
Alvin Cohen
8 Dukes Wood Drive Gerrards Cross SL9 7LP
07956 272519 alvin.cohen@virgin.net
Mike Flanagan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Costin Nathan Reply with quote

Hi thanks for your mail,
Hi I eventually got hold of Roger Nathan in south Africa by email. He flow over and was reunited with the Costin-Nathan car. He was over the moon that it was still here after so long. He like everyone else thought it must have been scraped along time ago. Roger is a very interesting and a very nice guy. He took a lot of pictures and told us some interesting stories about the car. Not shore, but I think he would love to get back in its seat one last time. We now know that it is the first prototype of Roger and Frank Costin so the visit was worth it.
Thanks Rick for the pic very interesting. My friend is going to sell the car, But doesn’t no how to go about advertising it.
Alvin many thanks but were in touch with Roger now.
ganderson888

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Costin-Nathan Imp progress? Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Just wondering what the current situation is with the Costin-Nathan Imp.

Regards
Graham Anderson
Chairman
The Imp Club Ltd.
ChevronB17

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Costin Forum Reply with quote

Hi Mike, would be very interested in the progress of the nathan sale? The main reason for posting here is that I believe you also post on the Costin Forum,which I recently stumbled on. I have tried to register on that site without success,keep getting the message password is unacceptable??

I used to work for Ron Harris when he ran the Protos F2 car and would like to contribute to the forums. Is there any way you could facilitate my joining , there does not apear to be any other contact on the forum other than applying online.

Thanks, Andy.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, what a result! Please keep us posted.
Dax Rush
ChevronB17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, this will be restored and winning races soon.................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: