classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hi Everyone - Datsun 120Y
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Negative Creep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Hi Everyone - Datsun 120Y Reply with quote

Thought I'd introduce myself and my cars. I'd always been into older cars but had never bought anything old enough to be considered a 'classic'. One day I was browsing ebay and happened upon something rather interesting about to end with no bids - a Datsun 120Y. I won it, went up to collect hoping the description was accurate and found that, if anything, it was in even better condition than I expected. 40k from new, fully undersealed and with only a few minor things not working.

I'm too young to even remember these being on sale and all I really knew about them was I loved the styling and they appeared in my Worst Cars Ever Sold in Britain! I've owned it since September with the only major problem being the water pump going. Although I normally like cars that are more fun to drive and quicker, I completely love this car. The reaction it gets is incredible, not bad for student transport!

I do have a delivery job which I don't like using the Datsun for, so also have this as a daily. I know it's not a classic yet but give it a few years!

Sadly neither will last. The Golf will be sold soon for something more economical (but still old). The Datsun I would keep, but I'm off to New Zealand in November so it will have to be sold Crying or Very sad
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI! Welcome to the forum!

The Datsun 120Y's were such a leap forward in small car motoring when they first came out. They were extremely popular in Australia in the early seventies. The problems came later. You could stand and watch the rust creep up the bodies.

To find one in the condition of yours is indeed a real treasure.

Keith
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats brought back some memories for me...
Many years ago I sold an old broads cruiser,the guy who bought it couldn't raise all the money and I took one of these of him in part exchange.The one thing I'll always remember about it was how easily it started,absolutely instant,you just touched the key and the engine was running.I sold it on to a mate who reckined he knew more about cars than the japs did and 'improved' it with a bit of tinkering and alaterations.It was never the same after that.
Comrade-Paul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. That Datsun looks fab. Very Happy
My first car was a 120Y Datsun Estate.
I loved it.
See pic.

Picture taken in 1960??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: