classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rust coating
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Rust coating Reply with quote

Hi

On the mini there has been a rust coating applied on the inside from the factory, it is about 15mm thick, and is like a semi hard tar type thing that has beern painted over. When you chicp it off the metal underneath is in primer and is in perfect condition, but the bits without it are so rusty!

What is this stuff?

Can you still get it or something like it?

Cheers

Dave
bob2

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

urs is a 90s model am i right buzzy??
in that case could it be stone chip?
What colour is it, stone chip is available in 2 colours as far as I know, black and grey!!!

however I dont beleive it was sprayed on so thick, usually underseal would be that thick!! Confused
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It is indeed 1996, the stuff is black but it is really thick, and it doesn't look like underseal, it has been painted over in the colour of the car, it looks really tidy and looks to do a great job, will try to get a pic at the weekend unless I have tidied it all up!

Cheers

Dave
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bmylaver what ever they were called that week used the stuff on most of their models. It always seems to exhibit the same. Where it sticks it protects like mad, but I think it cracks and lets water in and then it seems to accellerate rusting.
I would be tempted to use someting more modern and flexible.
BTW I reckon you meant 1.5mm thick??
PAUL
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAUL BEAUMONT wrote:
Bmylaver what ever they were called that week used the stuff on most of their models. It always seems to exhibit the same. Where it sticks it protects like mad, but I think it cracks and lets water in and then it seems to accellerate rusting.
I would be tempted to use someting more modern and flexible.
BTW I reckon you meant 1.5mm thick??
PAUL

Hi

Yeah it has cracked around the sills where the rust has gone, but it only gets wet from feet inside and leaks I supose.

Like you say it is very good where I have chipped it off, and the chips are ten to fifteen mm thick, in places.

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: