classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

mot minis?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: mot minis? Reply with quote

Hi

I haven't done much welding on minis since the new style mot came in, I know they are a lot stricter, so was wondering if patches on sills are acceptable?

I know they don't like to know you have been welding the subframe, is it the same with sills as they are like the chassis, where the strength is etc?

Cheers

Dave
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure you will find that all welding has to be continuous and not tacked every half inch or so. I do see a problem welding the subframes, but to do it properly, in most cases it has to come off so you may as well fit a replacement.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pathes are OK id seam welded all round - you are wasting time welding over rsyty steel though so make sure all of it is removed or fit a completer outer sill after reonoving all of the old one - do not use those so called cover sills if you are planning to keep it
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Someone has put oversills on it all ready as I found out! I am patching it as I want it on the road for the 50th aniversary, and then will have to take it off the road again for alot of work, will have to put a total new floor in her I think.

I have cut the rot out of the inner sills, but it is in such a mess inside under the outer sills it is not worth too much hassel at the moment, just for the few months I want it for.

I have patched one sill and seam welded it all today, then I had a horrible thought maybe you are not meant to do this, if it is alright then it is welded enough for the mot!

Cheers

Dave
bob2

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it so far gone Buzzy?
Its not that old!!!

Planning on doing some mini shows in it?
Just seen a short clip of the London 2 Brighton run and there was an incredible amount of minis!!!
What I dont understand is why does the BMW MINI take part in these things!!!
Hello thats not a Mini!!!!

However I thought it was ok to patch the sills as long as you take off all rust!!
I have done so on the blue mini although I regret it now (that was 7/8 years ago and they r still ok) and think I'll be taking the lot off in the near future and putting new proper ones on!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: