classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Machine shop and a half and a little more I think!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Machine shop and a half and a little more I think!!! Reply with quote

Hi

What do you think of this place:- http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/William_Doxford_and_Sons#The_Manufacturing_Process

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked

Cheers

Dave
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the company still in business or is there a Tesco's on the site ?
peppiB

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are old photos - ah memories of the days before health and safety was king- not a hard hat or pair of safety goggles in sight!
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Are you reading the Vintage Radio Forum too or is it just coincidence that
just a day two ago I saw that site quoted there too?

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40944&highlight=ship%27s

Peter Shocked Wink
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I did see it on another forum, but it wasn't connected to radios, it was on a traction engine forum.

Cheers

Dave
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: doxford days.. Reply with quote

Nostalga at it`s best! the great british arm of engineering at full flow.
As a Fully skilled mechanic --used to working on ERF,SCAMMELLS and the like--imagine my suprise and shock horror of confronting a Doxford engine when working in a local shipyard!
I managed to get employed by a local contractor--through my father-in-law.He was a boilermaker--shop steward at the time.
On my first day,i was told to report to the forman on board---no tool boxes were evident ,just a tool bag over the shoulder with bits and bobs inside.He had the company fitters in line,all awaiting their job for the day--did`nt like any contractors infiltrating the shipyard so we were last in line for obtaining work! When my time arrived to address the foreman---he politely said "Strip out 4,5 and 6 main on the crank."
I proceeded to enter the bowels of the ship and on inspection inside the sump of the engine---i found the crank mains were already removed.
It was his way of finding out if i had any knowledge of the procedure of repairs.I promptly arrived at his side to tell him they were already out.
He frowned and muttered"Oh ,i forgot"Then gave me some pipe flanges to disconnect.Aday of learning for me i suppose as a Doxford is just a wee bit bigger than the engines i`ve worked on!
Sadly,my experience of dockside mechanics was curtailed the following day as the boilermakers went out on strike.I could hear the strike action being addressed by my father- in- law...work to rule was laid down for a period of two weeks.Tools were supplied by the firm---so company fitters got to them first,leaving contractors to twiddle their thumbs in the cabin until tools became available.Needless to say i got paid for a fortnight sitting on my backside doing crossword puzzles.
That was the nearest i got to DOXFORD engines and sadly left the shipyard repair men to re-enter the smaller field of road transport.

Cheers----Ray the Rocker....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: