classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

dunlop wheels & NOW A BADGE
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
52classic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The badge.... The badge.....

"Veteran motorist 40 years experience!"

Once very popular to signify a "Granddad driver"
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The badge was for the Veteran Motorist organisation and the 40 stood for the numnber of years that the owner had been driving. i.e. you changed it every year.

This organisation is now called GEM motoring assistance, (the Guild of Experienced Motorists). See http://www.motoringassist.com/home.aspx

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a member and have the V badges on my cars - each year I renew I get another higher number ie years of driving!
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
exbmc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: dunlop wheels & NOW A BADGE Reply with quote

gillberry wrote:
i am not sure if this is the right section to put this on but we have some Dunlop Wheels as below they are 4 stud, does any one know what type they are, age and what other classic cars they would fit? we have taken them off a 1966 humber

we are still clearing out and took this badge of a Firenza a few years ago it is a bit worse for wear and has a V one side 40 in the middle and M on the other any idea what it stands for?

You seem to have all you need on the wheels, but nobody has mentioned the badge. It's a "Veteran Motorist" club badge, and someone had been driving for 40 years. I don't know anything about the club or if it still exists, but I started to notice these badges at the end of the 50's I think.
Probably any member would update the centre disc each year, a bit of an "old boys" club maybe?
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is now call Guild of Experienced Motorists (GEM) and as mentioned before year stickers are still supplied by them for holders of the V badges - I will be on 39 shortly!
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
exbmc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: VM Reply with quote

Phil, thanks for that. I know about GEM, but not that it had developed from the old VM club. Actually, I wouldn't have posted on it if I could have seen the other replies about it. There was no 2nd page to be seen when I first looked, and it seemed that no one had mentioned the badge. Joys of the internet!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: