classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Classic freindly MOT stations ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
J4CKO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Classic freindly MOT stations ? Reply with quote

Our Fiat 500 didnt do so well come MOT time despite having passed one a year earlier and having done very few miles, I suspect its previous owner had a "special" MOT done, one of those where the car doesnt need to be present as long as a few quid in an envelope is.

I am working through its faults but even so am concerned that some MOT testers interpret the rules differently to others and some dont understand older cars and dont make allowances, I know they have to be safe and roadworthy but some get a bit over zealous.

So, does anyone know any MOT stations in the Cheshire area that are geared to classics and understand that a Fiat 500 isnt going to work like a 3 year old BMW 7 series ?
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend one in north Manchester/Rochdale area, but maybe a little far for you?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi J4CKO

There is a garage I can recommend in Nantwich if that’s any use? they have one of their mechanics who does all the older cars MOT’s very sympathetically, don’t get me wrong if it deserves to fail it will, but they won’t treat it like a 3 year old car.

Last year my Stag should have failed on emissions and a split wiper blade, when I came to pick it up it had passed, they had tweaked the carb to weaken the mixture, and super glued the split blade to get it through with out a re test and without any additional cost to me! If its any use I’ll PM you the details.

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah PM'ing the details is probably the most appropriate way of recommending any tolerant garages. I use one a few miles south of here which understands the older motorcar, but again may be a bit far out distance-wise!?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I know of one in crewe, the guy has alot of vintage cars and also does alot of veteran/early stuff.

Like said before he will fail stuff, but knows about old cars.

Cheers

Dave
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Hi

I know of one in crewe, the guy has alot of vintage cars and also does alot of veteran/early stuff.

Like said before he will fail stuff, but knows about old cars.

Cheers

Dave

I have one in Southend-on-Sea Essex, for anyone who needs one down here.
scott_budds

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know when I had my 1972 MG midget the Mot tester had it hooked up to the analyser even though the test was “no visible smoke" for emissions!!

Does any body know of a website where I could find out what a MOT tester should test for with respect for my 1985 car?

Buddsy
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '77 Midget failed on emissions last year. The tester had left the choke out, not suprising the readings were off the scale. When I looked in the car I nearly blew a gasket!
Dax Rush
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
scott_budds wrote:
Does any body know of a website where I could find out what a MOT tester should test for with respect for my 1985 car?

Buddsy

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
scott_budds

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Penman, thats a really handy resouce.

Nic I bet you were mad! easy to fix though!

Buddsy
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

Just to underline the scale of change in MOT testing over the years---when being trained by ministry of transport examiners,top and bottom ball joints (front suspension) on certain cars allowed a maximum of "twenty thou" movement.Vauxhall cars were the prime but can anyone explain how you go about achieving the actual movement to fail the car!Would`nt happen these days i`m afraid.Any movement is a fail.

Cheers---Ray the Rocker...
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut 2 passages from the MOT web site, if the tester knows that the car when set up correctly will not pass a HC test then that is evidence, so

"Many modern vehicles will normally run well below the MOT limits. Where such a vehicle just passes the MOT test, but the tester knows that it is capable of more efficient operation, the owner should be informed. Vehicles should normally be tuned to the manufacturer's recommended settings wherever possible, but tuning is not part of the MOT test
Regulations do not require vehicles to achieve CO or HC readings below the original capability of the engine when new. A very few vehicles may never have been able to meet the MOT limits.
Where a vehicle owner claims that this is the case, and has sound supporting evidence (eg a letter from the vehicle manufacturer)' the vehicle should be considered exempt from the CO and HC emission requirements."
If the owner does not have sound supporting evidence, a Test Certificate should be refused."
The testers knowledge should be " sound supporting evidence".
Dax Rush
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a really interesting day but the bit you are interested in is the MOT. The Midget passed. Despite the horn packing up on the way to the garage. I promissed it would be fixed so he was OK and it is fixed now.
THE GOOD BIT, emissions, I stated the rules from the MOT test site and he agreed that the Midget may not pass the emission test but then he came up with a blinder. He said that he did not have to do emission tests on a car that has an engine from a pre-75 car so I replied " the head is off a 74 Midget" which is true. As it is a significant part of the engine he waived the emission test. When he handed me the certificate he asked if he could test the emissions, I said OK. I just ran the car for a few minutes wich did not get her right up to temp, it passed the HC and was 2 points off the CO pass. If it had a run along the by-pass it would have passed. I took it along the by-pass and cranked her upto 85mph, boy did she sound sweet!
Dax Rush
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did years ago was talk to a classic garage who book loads of MOT's and they get a discount for quantity. Also, because of the good relationship between the garage and the MOT station they are very understanding about any small niggle and let it go. Perhaps a quick chat to somesuch in your area?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: