classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Our New Cheltenham
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
yorkshireretro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Our New Cheltenham Reply with quote

we just picked up a lovely Cheltenham Sable this evening, it has doors both sides, does anyone have any information on these models with double doors? It is in lovely condition and is about to be 'Cath Kidston'd'!!! Smile
gillberry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
as othr posts look at the website, club membership is only £10.00 and well worth it for the knowledge of the others you will have to post some pics

and welcome to the cheltenham owners there seem to be getting more of us about now
yorkshireretro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by yorkshireretro on Sun May 01, 2011 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
yorkshireretro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps - we will be recovering the seat pads, the fabric on them looks to be the original and is in very good order, if anyone wants it for free for their cheltenham PM me with your address, seems a shame to waste it
gillberry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi it is not a nyala and it is a later one as it has what they call photo finish wood not like we have in ours which is a 1967 nyala
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m214/gillberry_2006/Nyala/?albumview=slideshow
the cheltenham web site has the lay out of all models
http://www.jacquimccarthy.co.uk/models/models.htm
hope you have fun with it, we do Very Happy
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's a later(post-1972) Sable.
I can't quite figure out how the mattress on the left hand bed seems to be a full-length one. The usual arrangement with the Sable is that the bed shortens for daytime use to allow access through the near side door. At night the end relocates by way of a unique up 'n over hinge to form the bed base extension, and the two end bolsters are used to fill the missing mattress space . If the mattress is a one-piece, maybe it's an after-market specially made?
The exterior locker (which very few Cheltenhams had) is opened by a carriage key, in effect a tapered square-section bar of about ¼" across the flats, with a T-handle. In emergencies one can use a large flat blade screwdriver
yorkshireretro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info Smile the seat under the mattress has a detachable section so that the door can open when you are not using the bed however the cushion is full size so is still in the way! i think we'll split it in two when we recover it! thanks for the advice re the locker, i'll try the screwdriver trick!! the caravan has a fridge built in and the original gas stove/oven which is good!

Quote:
text
(alt+q)I would say it's a later(post-1972) Sable.
I can't quite figure out how the mattress on the left hand bed seems to be a full-length one. The usual arrangement with the Sable is that the bed shortens for daytime use to allow access through the near side door. At night the end relocates by way of a unique up 'n over hinge to form the bed base extension, and the two end bolsters are used to fill the missing mattress space . If the mattress is a one-piece, maybe it's an after-market specially made?
The exterior locker (which very few Cheltenhams had) is opened by a carriage key, in effect a tapered square-section bar of about ¼" across the flats, with a T-handle. In emergencies one can use a large flat blade screwdriver
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just shorten it before recovering, you'll find that the two bolster cushions are the right size to fill the gap. Saves finding somewhere to put the other cushion!
jonbott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya the door key is the same as a `churchkey`from a splitscreen camper
good luck with it Cool
we`ve joined the owners club too
I`m amazed how many cheltenhams are about!
1972 vw camper
1971 mini project
I must be mad!!
gillberry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The club are very friendly and helpful . The annual rally is held at Ledbury Rugby club and is a must if only to have a look at other cheltenhams and see what other owners have done to theirs . It is held whit week each year . There is also a rally of the north but as new owners it so useful seeing others and how they are done . Some owners keep them totally original and in show condition and others (us included ) who use their vans on a regular basis modify them sympathetically ie with a wood interior you can add shelves make edxtra cupboards for hiding things in .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: