classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Wipers....grrrrr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Finch661

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Wipers....grrrrr Reply with quote

My wipers are playing up at the mo (on the mini). they have been great, until it started raining yesterday, the wipers went up about half the screen, then stopped. if they are given a helping nudge, they then complete the cycle and park.

i had this trouble about 4-5 months ago, so i stripped down the wheel boxes, re-lubed them and the wiper cable, also the motor. even after that they still didnt work. i fitted a brand new earth to the motor, and they started working correctly.

i checked the earthing cable, and it seems ok!

any help would be great!
thanks Evil or Very Mad
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the motor brushes ok? Have you checked that you still have volts at the motor when they stop? If you do then the problem is in the motor, if you dont you need to find out where they have gone!!
Alternatively, don't use it in the rain!!! Laughing
Paul
Finch661

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will check tonight, i take it i should probe the plug to see if i am getting the voltage?

any way of testing if the brushes are knacked?
Finch661

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers, i may have a look. though i probed the plug (park switch plug) and i am getting the 12V park voltage, and then the 12V voltage for 1st and 2nd speed when the wipers stop halfway up the screen. also the motor gets a wee bit hot. lastly, the wipers park, but not in the right position (about 2-3cm above the usual stop)

could this be the symtoms of a knacked parking switch?
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking switches on some wiper bmotors fitted to BLMC stuff can be troublesome, though in my recollection the usual symptom was that they failed to stop the wipers working rather than the other way round (I still have a partly dismantled motor in my shed, abandoned after about the fourth attempt to get the thing to work properly)
I still suspect the brushes. Check them first. Worryingly if the wipers stall and you still have 12v and presumably some amps it is not going to do the motor any good. I am surprised that you are not blowing fuses!!
Paul
P3steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Wipers Reply with quote

Have you taken the plate off the worm and gear I've known the grease to go rock hard in there and in the rack so if its not the power supply try that as I've seen it bring a wiper to a stop before.
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: