classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Bolts threaded into axle, removal!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Bolts threaded into axle, removal! Reply with quote

Hi

I have the issue that I have some bolts, 4 that are threaded into my axle. I have knocked a socket onto them, but the bolts just disintergrate, and are getting smaller and smaller now.

I am not sure about heating it up, as the axle housing will get warm, also the matter of drilling them out isn't filling me with joy, as they are right on the plain of the centre of the axle.

I thought gentle warming, with a stud extractor, or sillsons to turn them?

Any other thoughts/ideas apriciated!

Cheers

Dave
scott_budds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a few methods of getting very tight bolts undone on my turbo. First I try plusgas which is often fairly good. Im guessing youve tried it? Its a bit like WD40 but for me works more often. If that doesnt work the freeze sprays are my next move. Then for me I try heat. On my turbo I got to this stage and still had some break. If you dont want to use heat I havent try it myself but it is possible to weld a bar on the end of the stud...bit crude but needs must sometimes. On the one I broke I was able to set them up on my machine at work and remove the core and then unwind the remaining part like a spring.

All the best

Buddsy
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is sufficient head left to grip with Stilsons or Mole Grips then heat head up to cherry red with Oxy Acetylene and allow to cool - never
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the replies, I will have to have a look, I am not convinced the heads, well what is left of them, won't keep disintergrating, if you saw what they were holding on, you would understand, It is now a big pile of rusty brown power on the floor!

Cheers

Dave
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddsy, I have done the odd drill out by hand and winding out that thread "like a spring" is so satisfying. It takes a bit of setting up and I am sure you know this but here it is for others, - when one uses a centre punch to create a dimple to start a drill and it is in the right place it is "spot on".
Dax Rush
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

When I used to do steam boilers, I used to drill stays, straight down the centre, before shelling them in with an air chissel, and finally punch them out with an air hammer. I used to do 100's in a day, and each old stay was worth £25 scrap!

I might have to go down this route I think with these.

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: