classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Small repair to leather seat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Small repair to leather seat Reply with quote

I have a very small hole in one of my seat back, it's low down on the drivers side bolster because it gets wear every time you get in and out of the car.

I read on the Internet about repair systems which basically get you to glue a little canvas patch inside the hole then you apply a filler in the hole to bring it up to the level of the surrounding leather and finally paint it to match, black in my case.

These kits are about £15 but for such a tiny little hole I don't feel inclined to buy the kit I wondered if anyone has a similar solution using stuff I'm likely to already have in the garage? I've got bits of canvas, Dunlofix will glue it nicely so all I need is a flexible filler paste. Anyone got any ideas??? Confused
Keef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've repaired a leather jacket by gluing material behind a tear before. Should work on a hole in a seat, if you have a small piece of leather to glue on top of the material.

=========
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you're saying is cut a small piece of leather to fit the hole and glue this in onto a canvas backing piece? Might work... Confused

Any other ideas?

p.s. I've just been down to the garage and filled it with some black sealant out of a tube I found in one of the drawers. Where it was dried around the cap it looked like a matt black colour so we'll see what it looks like tomorrow. I reckon time I've been all over the seats with leather food and buffed them up you'll never notice! Smile
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried successfully using the above tailored patch - use impact glue (solvent type) a sapre bit of leather can be got from under the seat edge where turned over
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: