classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What To Do!!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Eyes600

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: What To Do!!? Reply with quote

Hi I have never had the opportunity of restoring anything of any personnel value before and, well, quite frankly haven't got a clue..! What to do First, Engine I guess but HOW.. anyone got some advice PLEASE.. Smile
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi eyes

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest not removing or fiddling with anything, until you've got as many reference books (manuals, handbooks etc) to hand as you can, gen up on them, and only then plan a restoration.

How bad is the moped? How long ago did it last run? Has it been well stored since coming off the road? Lots of things to ponder before setting to with the spanners I'd suggest Smile

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start by cleaning the vehicle. You will learn a lot about it. Good luck.
Dax Rush
pryantcc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take dozens of photos of everything! before you start, during the process and when it is stripped. Then take some more photos!

I have about a hundred photos taken in 1987 before dissasembly of the car I'm working on, but not one of them shows the bit I'm doing at the moment: The alignment of bonnet, grille and wings!
pryantcc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and take loads of notes and store everything really well. You never know how long it will be before you get to put it all back together again!!
Eyes600

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the advice. Reply with quote

Hi all, first of all I have looked for a manual on her but can't find one any clue where to look?? Think you're right about the cleaning Nic, she is rather sad looking at the mo. With the post from pryantcc guess I'd better get a digital camera and several A4 note books!! Smile

My Dad's bike, the Puch, was my first bike I ever road, it's what started my passion. (I was 8 at the time). The last I can remember her running was about 1980, she got put in a garage, then into a shed, then, sadly outside in the back garden. So she has been subject to alot. I was given her when my Dad passed in 1999, ever since she's been in my shed (brick) with my little SR125SE for company. Smile

She isn't a moped thou, she has a kickstart and doesn't look like a maxi. She is orange and chrome (just) an old H plate think thats 1969! Not sure! Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: