classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Winchester caravan stolen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Winchester caravan stolen Reply with quote

My friends Pete & Viv are distraught. Upon returning from the VSCC Malvern event with their Leason, they found that some lowlife had stolen their favourite caravan, a 1954 Winchester Pipit Special, from secure storage near their home in Essex.
Could I ask fellow enthusiasts to keep their eyes peeled and ears to the ground for this? It was complete with a vast horde of period regalia. Any sightings either report to me or to Police please.[img]
[/img]
rangerover125

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just off to a rally today so will take the photos with me. I sometimes wonder how 'secure' storage really is, I know most of the cctv system is down where my son stores his van. Hope they recover it. Steve
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve.
The entrance was cctv covered, but there are suspicious wheel tracks across some fields! Essex Police seem to be on the case - they say the local media are interested; and Ian Seabrook at Classic Car Weekly says he will help re. publicity.

Last edited by Uncle Alec on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
PACresta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Alec wrote:
Thanks Steve.
The entrance was cctv covered, but there are suspicious wheel tracks across some fields! Esex Police seem to be on the case - they say the local media are interested; and Ian Seabrook at Classic Car Weekly says he will help re. publicity.

I sincerely hope the low life is caught & the caravan returned. We will certainly be on the lookout for it.
moggy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: stolen winchester Reply with quote

Sorry to here about the stolen winchester,Might be a good idea to contact all port athourities in case it is to be taken out of the country,you could always email them with pics.I live in the north east and will certainly keep my eyes and ears open for you, lets hope it has a speedy return,Also i would check the insurance out on the storage place(not that money can replace such a lovely piece of history) ood luck.
gillberry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear the news i would be heart broken if some one took our cheltenham we have enough room to keep her at home but that does not stop people if they want it, we have had people knock on the door and ask about her.

we are at a car show this week end so i will aslo print the pictures for you and put up, do you have a essex police number or any more details on when she went etc and i will put it with the pictures
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gilberry. I'm not too sure about what to make public and what to keep hidden. I do have a crime no. but I'm sure that if anything was reported to Brentwood Police Station, Essex, they would be keen to follow up. I do have home phone no.s and addresses but I am a bit wary about publishing too much of that sort of info. Quite happy for people to PM me and I'll relay it.
You might know Pete & Viv; they have a Puku 2 that they bought from me (and a Riley RM obviously!). They also have a pre-war Leason, and an Eccles, and a just post-war Bristol (caravan) but the Pipit was their favourite of the lot, and the regalia took a lot of putting together.
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it is in my county I will keep a look out.

The other thing to do is to keep an eye on Ebay.

A member of my Safari group had his caravan stolen and one week later it appeared on Ebay, with a rear photo showing the owners numberplate!!

The local police didn't want to approach ebay to find out who was selling it, so from the photos on ebay and with the help of Google Earth, I found the exact address and this forced the police to act and recover the Safari and arrest the seller.
Barry Lord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too know Pete and Viv and their Winchester is distinctive in that on the opposite side to that shown in the photograph it has a double window roughly in the middle of the wall. I know of only two others with a window of this type, both in the Midlands.
gillberry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

have printed the pics and just put if you see it to contact the brentwood police, Cromer is a big car show with lots of tourists so hopefully will make a mental note of it, we can only hope it will soon be returned and not end up in bits
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Gilberry.
gillberry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just seen the other winchester post and thought of this one - is there any news?
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not. Publicity and awareness would be both useful and much appreciated.
When you think about it, therer's not a lot you can do about a stolen 1954 Winchester caravan other than just hope someone spots it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: