classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Aluminium/vintage caravan sealing compound recommendations?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
mrsherbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Aluminium/vintage caravan sealing compound recommendations? Reply with quote

Hello!
Very Happy
Nice to find a special vintage caravan forum!

We finally have our '59/'60 SMV8 aluminium caravan home, and though in great shape (always lovingly barn stored) she leaked a little in the rain coming home, a small part of the interior wood roof lining rippled! so after inspection it looks like we need to re-seal all the panel joints and go round and carefully tap all the 'nails' back in.

It seems to be a horizontal roof panel joint that has opened a little.

Any suggestions?
It wants to be off white ideally. (She is painted not fully polished)
Obviously silicon sealer would probably do the job but we would much rather use something more authentic/in keeping? There seems to be a wax in some joints? I wondered about Sikaflex291/292 seal for the roof repair? I've used it before and its good.

Any helpful tips appreciated, she's definitely not venturing outdoors again until the sun is shining!!

Thankyou
Anna Very Happy

Last edited by mrsherbie on Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum. Have you tried contacting the manufacturers? They are usually very willing to help with information to help restore/repair older vans, There is even an active club for these vans.

UJ
mrsherbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not a club here in uk is there?
My partner has had SMV10's before, but none have ever been a 'keeper' until this one Very Happy
Good tip though, Thanks!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only club that I know of is here in Sweden, as is the factory. Would you like the links?

UJ
cornish_lass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mrs Herbie (Anna) and welcome to this forum.

I must admit to never having heard of an SMV Embarassed before you did your posting, but then I found one on Ebay (model size .... bless) and must admit it looks good Cool

How about some pictures so we can all see what yours looks like. With regard to the leakage, I have never used it myself, but I gather that Sikaflex is probably one of the best things you can use.

Good luck with the repairs.

Cornish Lass
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I'd be interested in seeing a pic or two if poss!?

Rick
Very Happy
j_nigrelli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: sealants Reply with quote

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=24

i don't know if there's a supplier "near you!"
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anna - welcome to the forum.

Did we exchange emails some time ago about your SMV8? I run the Classic Safari Enthusiasts Group.

The Caravan Repairer who advised me on the rebuild of my Safari would only recommend Sikaflex. It remains flexible for far longer than any other sealant and so does not go hard and crack over the years. He said that it is a good idea to replace it every three years or so.

You should remove any capping strips, get rid of all the old sealant and thoroughly clean the area. Put masking tape either side of the area being sealed and apply the sealant, replace the cappings and then remove the masking tape for a really neat finish.
splitscreenman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: another smv never hurt anyone. Reply with quote

Hi. i also have an smv but mine is a 10, would love to own an 8 but hard to find. do you have some pics ? would love to see your van. neil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: