classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Newbie first post- towing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Newbie first post- towing Reply with quote

Hi everybody, what a great site this is with loads of information and chat.
Just purchased my first vintage (c1934) caravan, its a 9' two berth, unfortunately unknown make. I will attempt to post a few pictures when I learn how too do that.
My tow car will be an 1925 Bayliss Thomas open tourer. This is an typical car of its era with an ladder type chassis and spring suspension. MY QUESTION: any hints or leads as to how I go about fitting a tow bar arrangement on such a car. Thank you
Dalek63

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
All I would advise is to make sure you have the tow bar fixed to the chassis ( not the body ), bolted not welded and that should be fine. Just remember that a towbar now comes under the MOT regulations, so might be worthwhile asking an MOT tester how this affects your vintage car.
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would normally advise that Watling Engineering can supply towbars for our cars, but in your case you might just catch them out!
victor 101

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have moved on, I remember when you bolted a couple of pieces of 2" angle iron to the chassis and another piece to go across the back, half a dozen thick bolts and a tow ball and away you went.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies, I had a look at Watlins but just too expensive for me. I will have a chat with MOT guy and see what is acceptable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: