classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Classic Porsche seats - is it horsehair?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
KevF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Classic Porsche seats - is it horsehair? Reply with quote

Guys

As mentioned in the Autoglym thread, I am currently working on a 1953 Porsche 365.

I am paint correcting at the moment but the client has asked if I can look at cleaning the interior.

Now this car is original and the tan cord seats and door cards are in need of a clean.
The colour has faded on some parts, on others it is just plain dirty. The rear seat base has what looks like 'woodworm' holes in some places.

The seat material, I would assume, is Horsehair so I am aware of needing to be ultra careful...

Does anyone know someone who would be able to help with this cleaning as I am not comfortable using my normal materials on this unique vehicle .

Many thanks

Kev
62rebel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they're anything like VW or BMW seats then it is indeed rubberised horsehair in them, or at least what remains. every one of my BMW 2002's, all of my older VW's, and my 1972 and 1978 Mercedes had this stuff in them (at one time) and it deteriorates badly over time, usually decomposing into a mass of detritus beneath a sagging seat cover. i loathe the stuff. however, if you're restoring a Porsche, then the OEM stuff will be necessary if you wish to remain original. a good upholstery shop should be able to obtain it for you. the stuff is responsible for that uniquely "German" smell i associate with those cars.
KevF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

The original horsehair is still in very good condition surprisingly but the corduroy cloth has some staining and water marking that the client wants removed....I am loathed to 'wash it' as he has instructed as he also wants to keep the patina just wants to ensure it is clean......

Am I being too cautious with regard the horsehair......How wet does it need to get before smelling and going bad..........I have tried spot cleaning with a soft bristle brush and cloths but it really needs a decent wet/dry vac but I am holding off on that if I can.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kev,

I've found that Vanish Carpet Cleaner is very effective and it certainly doesn't leave much moisture. No tide marks either.

Peter
KevF

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Peter.....I might give it a try....

Kev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link is to number of suppliers and includes horsehair padding
Sorry it is a bit late Smile

http://mercedesbenzw114swtroke8.myfanforum.org/about56.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: