classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Another painting question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Another painting question Reply with quote

As a newbi to vintage caravans I expect I will be posting a few more questions over coming weeks. My caravan is covered or walled with what I think is called bondiboard. As such I would like to freshen and protect the exterior with a fresh coat of paint. Best paint to use please?
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's like Masonite, i.e. some sort of oiled hardboard, then I would suggest either Coach Enamel or a polyurethane one-pack enamel such as HMG K-type.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for reply, yes the boarding appears to be like some sort of hardboard, I want to paint the exterior which at the moment is painted with, I guess, some type of gloss. Rub fingers over it and paint dust comes off onto fingers. So a sandpaper over to rough up and coach paint then?

Presume treat interior same?
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if a coat of primer would be needed first.
Abrade, clean, prime, topcoat.
Your paint supplier will recommend a paint range; if not, look up H. Marcel Guest. Close to me, been using them for 30yrs, very happy with their products. Their coach enamel is superb.
I still buy cellulose from them; to paint machinery of course. My Brooklands Green 3ft metal rollers with Black running boards are legendary.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Uncle Alec, they may seem daft questions to some but I have never worked with masonite before and I certainly do not want to be the one to make a complete horlicks of the job. Meanwhile I'm busy with the interior, rubbing down the painted kitchen sink unit and cupboard ready for a freshen up. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: