classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

How do you get a full vehicle history report?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
LadyThames

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: How do you get a full vehicle history report? Reply with quote

I am interested in finding out more about the history of my vehicle, having just paid a fiver to vehicle check website to be told the same information I have on my reg docs, and failing to google any answers about this, I'm hoping to find the answer here.

Can someone tell me how you find out about a vehicles ownership history?
I would like to know where it's been and who owned it, who it's original owners were and what it was used for.
Where do you get this type of information from, can you get it from the DVLA?

I also found it had had a plate transfer, what does this mean, is the number plate not the original then?
How do I find out what the original number plate was?
I don't mind if this costs some money to find out, but I would just like to know for when it's restored.
I'd like to think I'm putting the right decals on it you know Wink and not have someone come up to me at a rally telling me my £££ paint job needs to be changed Embarassed

Would be interested to know if other people have been able to get this information on thier vehicles and how they went about it. Thanks Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again LadyThames,

Good to hear that the project is rolling along ok, I believe that for a small fee DVLA will send you copies of any old logbooks they still have on file, although I'm not sure of the process involved.

If it has had a plate transfer then yes, it usually means that either the original number was sold off the vehicle some time back, and a replacement issued, or else when the records were computerised in the early 80s, your vehicle was off the road and missed out having its logbook details transferred onto the new system. If you tell us what letters form the reg. number you have now, it can often be a clue as to whether it now sports a re-issued (non-original) number.

Do you have any photos available showing the Thames??

rgds, Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
LadyThames

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick, the reg was changed in 1970 apparently, so not to do with the 80's changes, I imagine from rumours about past owners that it could have been some kind of military vehicle and maybe the plate was changed when the van was sold on. It begins WRG and ends in A.

Here are a few photos.

As you can see the rear of the van has a square plate is it for a badge of some kind? The original colour is a dark green.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Looks MOD to me. The way I have found details, is just digging on the net, google, and then dig beyond google. Dig with the person you bought it off, in the local area, anywhere and everywhere. It will be difficult, but that is where the fun is!

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with buzzy, the back end reminds me a little of the radio bodies sometimes seen on the earlier Austin K9 lorries used by the army, with extra windows added once it went into civilian life by the look of it.

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
LadyThames

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will have a go at getting the old log books from the DVLA,
and if it was a radio van it was a very small one for very small soldiers maybe Laughing,
suggestions have also been raised that is was some form of civil defence vehicle but with the plate change I'm not so sure now,
any one know of any knowledgeable military vehicle folks?
doug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a leaflet from the Military Vehicle Trust with their last magazine. It was from the Royal Vehicle Corps Museum. It says.....

The RLC Museum holds the Army B vehicle History cards previously held by the museum of Army Transport. These cards can help trace the history of individual Army soft-skin vehicles that were in service with the British Army from the early 1940s.
To obtain a scanned copy of a vehicle history card you will need to provide the museum with the vehicles Equipment Registration Number(ERM) If you only have the vehicle make and chassis number it may still be possible to find a card for your vehicle.Any other data such as the contract number and year of manufacture may also be helpful.

It costs £25 for them to do search for you.
LadyThames

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug I'll look into that. Excuse my ignorance but whats a 'B vehicle'?

I found this today while peeling away the layers of paint ready for repainting, it pealed off in half so I've reversed the image.
Next thing is to look for some writing and I need a supplier of CD decals, anyone knows where to get them from?

doug

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry not sure what "B" type vehicle are but they might be the soft skin vehicles i. e. not tanks.
It might be worth contacting them to see if they have lists of vehicles from the Civil Defence Corp. Here is their address if you want.

B Vehicle Records
The Royal Logistic Corp Museum
The Princess Royal Barracks
Deepcut
Camberley
Surrey
GU16 6RW
LadyThames

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug, I rang the dvla and they said if I send a letter explaining what I want to find out they might be able to help me.

I'll also send a letter to The Royal Logistic Corp Museum too.

Any idea what's meant to go in the square thing on he back.

And yes the windows were added, originally it had opening back doors, I'd love to see an original one, or even just a photo.
LadyThames

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this film recently of a Civil Defence exercise in 1968.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=43185

Near the end of the film is a row of six 400e box vans which were part of the Forward Emergency Medical Aid Unit (FMAU). They would have been used to transport four injured people (at least I hope they were just injured, bit creepy if they weren't) to the nearest hospital in the event of a nuclear attack. Yep if you had been involved in a nuclear attack in the 1960's you would have been rescued by a 400e. Shocked Laughing

The pathe news archive also has some very good films of commercial motor shows and vehicles on the move, just type 'commercial vehicle' or 'caravans' into the search box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: