classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Classic mistake?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Classic mistake? Reply with quote

My first vintage caravan, and as I have mentioned on other thread, I've made a mistake in thinking the caravan was lighter then it actually is. My vintage car is not going to be able to tow the caravan! So I now find myself with a lovely vintage caravan and vintage car that shall never be joined Crying or Very sad Doh!
gillberry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had the same problem I had a mk2 humber sceptre and bought our first cheltenham fawn (a light van) to go with that but with the humber being automatic she would not tow very well, had oil coolers fitted etc but in the end gave up so we got the bigger nyala and have now changed the car to the amazon which tows it fine,
Then

Now

Last edited by gillberry on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonbott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had the same problem when we were looking for a caravan,thought the only things we could have would be eribas,but now have a 650kg cheltenham sable Cool bigger inside and cheaper than the `common` eriba`s Wink
shame about yours Sad
1972 vw camper
1971 mini project
I must be mad!!
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking combo Gillberry!

Jonbott, what do you tow your Cheltenham with?

Oh well live and learn, its not the end of the world I guess.
jonbott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bayliss Thomas wrote:
Great looking combo Gillberry!

Jonbott, what do you tow your Cheltenham with?

Oh well live and learn, its not the end of the world I guess.

we tow our sable with a standard vw camper Smile tows ok but a little slow on our cornish hills Laughing
1972 vw camper
1971 mini project
I must be mad!!
rangerover125

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow a Nyala, its now towed with a Range Rover 2.5TDi, its old and battered but great for recovering old vans. Before that I used to tow with a Citroen Xantia. Why no classic car, to be honest with health problems its harder for me to repair my own car and I don't have the finance for garages. The Range rover I can get over or under without to much trouble lol
HMK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me there's only one car for towing the van & that's the old Vauxhall Carlton Estate Wink

They're 100% reliable & easy to work on. They use 'old-school' mechanics with modern electronic management.

I've been running Carlton Estates for nearly ten years & I've now got three.....Red, White & Blue Laughing

I wouldn't run anything else - trouble is, they're getting very thin on the ground now.....probably because I've bought them all Wink Laughing

Or bought them & broken them for spares Smile

I do actually have a fourth one, but it's a saloon model & doesn't have a tow bar fitted, so although it's a fantastic car which I've owned since 2005, it's not a lot of use to me.

The saloon is actually for sale if anyone wants to fit a tow bar to it. It's got a full years test & six months tax & drives like a dream. Full service history. £675 if anyones interested....pic below.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: