classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Best bodges- come on own up!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Best bodges- come on own up! Reply with quote

Ok, so we've all done it, the not-strictly-correct repair or the get you home bodge that turns into a long term arrangement.

Tell us your most ingenious bodge or most common one found on old vehicles that you have bought!

Sometimes they are simple cosmetic 'cover-up' jobs and other times they can be downright dangeroud... tell us your horror stories!

The most recent of mine was when I noticed that a rear tail light on my Ford popular wasn't working properley, if you wriggled the wire to a certain position it came on, and if you let go it went off.

"Bad connections" I hear you say, check the connections for tightness, or perhaps there's a break in the wire, so replace that section of wire.... naw... I cable tied the wire to secure it in the 'working' position - job done! Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot depends what you mean by bodge, but I can tell you, that after working on vehicles since the mid-sixties, there have been more than one!

The most memorable was a Heath Robinson Sterling engine!
admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much a bodge, as a 'get you home lash up that lasted many months' was when my sports exhaust fell off the red Triumph Spitfire, on the quayside at Conwy, North Wales. Fortunately I had a couple of elastic bungee straps so tied the rear silencers up, wrapping the straps around the boot catch. Stayed that way for many many months Very Happy

Rick
Standardsteve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once drove a 1600E Cortina from Leeds to Nottingham with a broken throtle cable by leaving the bonnet on the second catch and working the throtle out of the window with a piece of string - slow journey and cold arm but it got me home, I seem to recall repeating the trip a rew months later with no clutch having to time all the gear changes to the correct engine speed and praying for green lights all the way after the pipe from the master to clutch slave cylinder burnt against the exhaust and lost its fluid, got changing gear without a clutch down to a fine art - bet you could'nt do this with cars today. Regards al Steve
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am a perfect mechanic so never make bodges, honest!

No I remember having to glue with loctite bushes into some very worn axles as the new ones kept falling out of the worn hole! I was told to do it, so it wasn't my idea!!

Cheers

Dave
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best ever bodge - my 8 hp Ford side-valve engine was in dire need of some work, but when I got it apart it was shot! A friend said he had a spare 10 hp (more power! Embarassed ) and could have it, but it too was in need of work - hey, it was for nothing, gift horse and all that.

Pulled it apart and everything was good except the white metaled big ends, they had broken up. I eventually found a company in Stirling who would do the work - for the cost of my first-born and a lot of money as well. I just couldn't afford it, so necessity being the mother of invention I looked at the problem and considered my options -

1. Put back together and hope for the best.
2. Bite the bullet and pay for the job.
3. Think cheap!

No. 3 really worked for me, so I pieced together the remains of the white metal into the big ends, ran a coat of Plastic Padding over them, let it set and then wet & dried them, all eight to baby bum smoothness. Built it all back together and bingo - everything ran quietly, so well in fact I sold the car to a friend (who knew about the repair) 4 years later and it's still got the Plastic Padding big ends 10 years later. Very Happy

Who said we Scots are mean - we're innovative, I should sell the idea to Plastic Padding!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sounds suitably dodgy, Well done!! hehe

Very Happy

What is plassic padding?

Cheers

Dave
Scotty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
What is plassic padding?

"PLASTIC PADDING CAR BODY FILLER (ELASTIC) A top quality body filler with exceptional adhesive properties. Easy to apply, shape and sand. For a perfect finish on any metal, ......."

In the early 1970's when I bought my first car this stuff I quickly learned was an essential item of a car owners tool-kit ................ Mini's, I discovered, rusted!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy, by not knowing what plastic padding is, you are showing your age. Laughing

As for myself, by never having used it, I'm showing mine! Laughing
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe Very Happy

Yeah I am only a nipper!

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great story Scotty! I've not been that creative with the wonder-gloop, but just the mention of Plastic Padding reminds me of its smell!

Rick
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talking of lash-ups ... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ford-capri-and-morris-minor-joint-together_W0QQitemZ160072263914QQihZ006QQcategoryZ27381QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I need to sit down..
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Very Happy

Even I'm not tempted by that one!
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there should be a permanent repository somewhere for all images of true horrors like this, just so that they can be re-visited at any time for a good giggle Very Happy Shocked

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is that a serious one or is it someone mucking around????? Why on earth would you do, even think of doing that?

Rolling Eyes Confused

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: