classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What plates are correct.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word "insistence" in my posting was meant to apply to the owners of classic vehicles - not the Law. I really believe that reflective plates should be fitted to all road vehicles as an extra safety measure.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I don't have reflective paint, hehe Laughing

Whilst I can see the pro's of a reflective plate, I can't see many classic owners going for them, when they have spent time and money to get ther vehicle back to an orriginal state.

I don't think mine will have them, if they didn't have them orriginally.

Just my oppinion however, so don't shoot me down! Smile

Cheers

Dave
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! But what are number plates anyway but aftermarket items? They were perhaps of an era, but nothing to do with the vehicle as it left the maufacturer.
Next will be a refusal to display a modern Road Fund Licence Disc because it is not "original".

Signed "Devil's Advocate".
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He he, I was worried my post might have the wrong effect.

A vintage car with reflective plates, a vintage tractor or a engine with reflective numberplates just look wrong in my eyes. They stick out a bit more than a tax disc, but now you mention it, you can buy period coppies for display purposes, (not to replace the proper one I hasten to add).

Not quite an aftermarket thing, as all road going vehicles had them, and they changed as time went on, so it looks right to me to have the right ones. Why do you need reflective ones anyway?

Black with white digits look great to me.

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
Next will be a refusal to display a modern Road Fund Licence Disc because it is not "original".

Signed "Devil's Advocate".

Smile sounds ok to me, hehe - they do jarr a bit to be honest, modern looking things like that in the window of an oldie. The Devon has a period tax disc, in an old Austin agency's holder, with a "10 Year Test" transfer just above it. The modern tax disc looks terrible alongside them, but unfortunately the old bill aren't too sympathetic to this argument for not showing the new one Wink

As for no. plates, I prefer the plates to be of a style in period with the age of the car. Ok they are a little less visible at night, but if maximum visibility was my aim I'd be hanging a set of lamps from a modern bus on the back bumper, and that isn't going to happen Smile As with all concessions to modernity, it depends how and when you use your car.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Syd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Original registration number search Reply with quote

I am in the process of restoring my 1971 Triumph 2000 Mk 2 Estate which I have owned for many years, the vehicle was a private import into Australia from the UK, I have obtained the BMHT heritage certificate for the car, with all of the numbers and the original owner details. The car was ordered by an Australian resident for export and was delivered in the UK, used and then brought here.
I would very much like to get the original UK registration number (probably a Coventry mark) and have tried a number of options.
• Although I am only the second owner, I was unable to contact the original owner to find the UK registration.
• A letter and a follow up letter to DVLA quoting engine and body numbers went unanswered (nothing surprising there!!)
• Contact with the BMHT was fruitless as they were unable to source registration numbers.
• Triumph out of business and far too long ago to assume anyone else has the sale records.
• Original Victorian registration documents do not quote the UK number (no provision to record same)

Any ideas?

Given the build date, it is probably a Solihull/Coventry "DU or XC" - “K” registration and I could simply have a set of plates made as an appropriate mark (e.g. XXC 123K or similar) which I don’t particularly want to do if there is a chance I can discover the original.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Syd in Melbourne
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syd

I seem to recall that cars purchased for export could be free of UK VAT and car tax but had to carry a special series of number plates. From memory I thought it was a plate carrying a letter "Q" but cannot find confirmation. I think it had to be exported within six months, and the special plate prevented the car being sold unless the tax was first paid and a regular plate obtained. I am not sure when this practice stopped.

I may be totally wrong - so does anyone else have a better memory than me!

So if your car was bought from the dealer for export it would not have had a normal Coventry plate.

If the first owner was a resident in the UK he may have not obtained this privelege price and therefore the plate would reflect where he registered the car, not the town where the car was built, unless he lived in the Coventry area.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly this is from 1959 but is the original plate I found on the car in a barn. Should be the same type as 1953 though. Pressed alloy plates came later

Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressed Alloy plates were common well before the second World War. The rivetted on letters atre much more modern than pressed alloy.
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Admittedly this is from 1959 but is the original plate I found on the car in a barn. Should be the same type as 1953 though. Pressed alloy plates came later
I've just returned from the NEC Classic car show Tony and there was an excellent stand making old classic plates, according to their display information pressed aluminium plates were in use in the 30's (in a different size) and then in a different style in the 50's & 60's, the raised letters you show were concurrent in the 50's with both silver digits and white digits. I came to the conclusion that both sorts are correct for a 50's car. My Aston has flat pressed ali plates and they are the originals from 1958. R...

p.s. here's an interesting web-site for pre-63 plates http://www.pl8s.co.uk/Pre-1963.php

p.p.s. I agree with Buzzy, I wouldn't put yellwo & white plates on my 1958 car, it's just wrong.
Syd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Can I find my Triumph's original UK registration? Reply with quote

Thanks for the Reply Brian, According to the BMHT certificate the car was actually sold direct from the Triumph Personal Sales department to the original owner with Melbourne as his address, so it may well have had a Coventry index mark (DU, XC, etc.,) Vehicles for tax-free export had normal series registration with a yellow border on black plates and a red border on reflective plates. The "Q" series you mention were generally for unregistered vehicles brought into the UK as temporary imports on the proviso they were exported within a required time. The car apparently landed in Australia within 12 months of manufacture.
Any other ideas???? Any good contacts at Swansea?
Syd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: