classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Wheel Dollies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
clascar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Wheel Dollies. Reply with quote

Has anyone experience of using wheel dollies. The type with 4 castors, and the car wheel sitsin a metal dish. They are sometimes called skates
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had them myself, but was told that you need to have a spot-on level and smooth floor surface for them to work well ... fact or fiction?? I have wondered about buying some myself, so I'd be interested to hear first-hand accounts of using them too.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
clascar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My garage floor is new and very smooth Rick, My new Rover P4 project fits in my double garage OK but I can't stand at the front or rear without the door open.

My plan is to move the Rapier outside whilst I work on the P4, I should be able to rotate it at 45 degrees which will give me good access without the doors open. It would be impossible to drive the car to achieve this angle. I have managed to move it on the trolley jack, but it was a bit precarious.
victor 101

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the ones with rollers that you can use without jacking the car up and they were great, but dont roll your car out of the garage if youve got a steep drive.
stuchamp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2 sets. 8 total dollies.
The set with plastic wheels I use for the TQ midget racer. They work great with such a light car.
The other set has steel wheels and they worked well with my old Studebaker. I could move it with one hand.
I've also used them with my heavier '57 Chevy wagon and its more difficult to move. Almost need two persons to move it.
Capacity for each dolly is 1000 pounds, plastic or steel wheels, but I'd recommend going with the steel wheels for heavier vehicles.
andycars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from Machine Mart on one of their VAT-Free days (a year or two back). They are "Clarke" and have plastic wheels. Used them today for the first time to move my Anglia van around the garage and found them really good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: