classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Bargin bit of kit for your garage
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad for £35 off eBay! Very Happy not difficult to use either.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Big to bring home though! hehe

Cheers

Dave
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another one, I'm sure your mum wouldn't mind it in the kitchen Wink , makes a change to watching Corry Very Happy
Phil Lincoln

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Dwell meter Reply with quote

Hi , is your vehicle negative earth.I have tried two of these meters only to be told after lots of prompting that they are not suitable for positive earth.
I agree with your comments on the desirability of using dwell angles as opposed to points gap. My Rover p4 runs well enought but a dwell meter will accurately show up any wear in the dizzy.
My P4 is still positive earth ,( thinking of changing it over at some point ).
Regards Phil.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it Rick! Wonderful things for fault checking, but almost useless for finding a fault or starting a "dead" engine!
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bargin bit of kit for your garage Reply with quote

UKdave2002 wrote:
Setting the points by dwell angle is far easier and IMHO more accurate than using feeler gauges.

I may be a bit thick, but how can you adjust the points gap with a dwell meter?
I can see how you can check what you've set but surely you still need to use feeler gauges to set it?

Peter
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cars distributors had an external adjustment outside the distributor body. It was usually a nut which when turned adjusted the gap inside. This was done with the engine running and gave a highly accurate points gap
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen plenty of advance / retard set screws but I've never seen a points gap adjustment.

Peter
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Renault 11 new back in 83 and it was set up like this
exbmc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: dwell meter Reply with quote

I always check for correct dwell angle, after fitting points and setting the gap with feelers. Rarely have to adjust them though, I suppose after a thousand or two, you get the "feel"! Very useful to check after the points have run a while, and there may be a bit of a "pip", so feelers would not be accurate. Just connect up the meter and see if any closure has taken place. Regarding dwell adjustment by a screw on the outside. The only one I can recall, was the Range Rover, early carb equipped and none electronic ignition types.
You could throw in the new points, gap very roughly, then start up and set the dwell while it idled.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the correct dwell should result from the correct points gap with all new parts. When wear sets in on cam faces, drive shaft bushes etc. that will no longer be necessarily true.
Dwell ensures the points are closed long enough, particularly at high engine revs for the coil to "charge up" its magnetic field in the windings to ensure a satisfactory spark.
The normal method is to set the points to the correct gap and then check the dwell. If the dwell is too low the points are opening too soon and the gap needs widening; and vice-versa.
It is important to remember that setting the points to a revised gap will affect ignition timing, so the timing should also be part of the excercise.

To emphasise the importance of dwell, consider that on a four cylinder (four stroke) engine @ 6000rpm the points have to make and break 200 times PER SECOND! So if the coil has any chance of charging and discharging (not really the right terms, but descriptive) it is important that the points close for a sufficiently long period.

I don't really believe they move that fast, but I cannot disprove the calculation!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: