classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MGB Roadster 1973 resto
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: MGB Roadster 1973 resto Reply with quote

As if I don't have enought to do I have been ripping an MGB Roadster apart for a play thing for my partner. She would like it converted to an auto so a Borg Warner Type 35 was sourced from a GT with all the linkage. The engine and box has been removed and the head is off. I was supprised to see how lovely and smooth the ports are and how flat in profile the valves are, I think we have a stage 1 or maybe 2 engine. The bores look good and I will measure them to find out what capacity the engine is. The sump will come off to check the bottom end and the pulley wheel to check the timing chain. I have cleaned the head and repolished the ports but while reassembling the valve assy I dropped a spring and it cannot have gone far but can I find It? - No.

The body has had quite a bit of work done at sometime but there is still more to do. Parts that have been replaced - inner and outer sills, drivers floor pan, both rear outer wings, steering box assy, wheels and tyres. I have removed the inside of the car and no horrors found there but this is under the front OS wing.

Nothing a bit of weldy weldy won't sort out. I think we will go for the Sebring look. Cool
Dax Rush
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am waiting for some bits for the Talbot and the 8 to come home I may as well get on with the Roadster. Quick strip of the engine but leave the crank and pistons in place. I have checked the bores and it is a 1950cc stage 2 engine Very Happy . The bottom end is in good shape, so a clean up and a paint.

With the torque converter bolted up the sump can now go back on.

Some of the MG Bs do not have vavle guide seals fitted as standard and this one did not but I think I will fit the seals.

The automatic box (underneath the engine) was never fitted to the B with these carbs and the linkage does not fit so a bit of fettling was called for.

And the linkage in place and working.

Dax Rush
victor 101

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nic, I notice you have the torque converter bolted to the engine, you risk damaging the oil seal when you try and line up the gearbox, the torque converter would normally be fitted on the gearbox and then bolted to the plate through the starter motor aperture. I hope im not teaching you how to suck eggs. regards Rod.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I will slacken the bolts when fitting the box. Sump off again. Embarassed
Dax Rush
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to get my hoist back to lift the engine to get the sump off and now I have to get the auto box sump off to fit the kick down cable - nice design.

I have got to replace the outer sill, the castle rail, the dash side and the A post.

I always think that these cars are going to be an easy resto. Rolling Eyes
Dax Rush
richardlw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I fixed up with my 15 year old daughter over a period of close to a year. She got to have here first drive on her 16th birthday right after getting her license.

Still needed a little assembly and cleanup that day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: