classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

RMB Triumph Gentry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: RMB Triumph Gentry. Reply with quote

I'm not sure this belongs here. But it perhaps depends on how you define "classic".

I am helping to repair a car on which the rear-hinged bonnet came up while being moved on a trailer, smashing the bonnet, windscreen and more particularly the windscreen side-feet which (should) secure the windscreen to the body.

The car is an RMB Gentry, over 25 years old (hence IS IT a classic?). It is a very attractive and well finished car which emulates an MG TF Midget very closely, but is essentially a Triumph Herald with an aluminium alloy body shell fitted with GRP wings.

Over the last 30 years or so the manufacturing rights have changed hands four times. Each manufacturer changing details here and there. In particular, the cast aluminium alloy feet in question. The type fitted are as originally used by RMB and are now no longer available. The later types might be made to fit, but they tilt the screen at a different angle, which would mean expensive alterations to the hood and side screens. I believe these feet are exclusive to the Gentry and are one of the deviations from MG style.

Does anyone know where there might be a scrapper which might be cannibalised for these feet or anywhere else where they might possibly be sourced? I would be eternally grateful!

Jim Walker.

Note:- the Avatar on the left is an RMB Gentry, but not the one damaged.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How complex are they? Could not a local brass foundry make them?
PAUL
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, They are not very complex, and if this plea fails I am considering re-casting. While cleanly broken, so they could be used as (handed) patterns, they would of course come out slightly smaller and require polishing and buffing, which would reduce the size even more. I'm not sure how significant size reduction would be to the overall fit.
They are aluminium alloy and so is the windscreen surround. Brass would stand out like a sore thumb and if chromed they would not really blend in.

I used to work at a Technical College which had a foundry and could have had trial ones done for nothing. The College has now closed down, so a very useful facility has disappeared.

Basically they are in the shape of an inverted italic T , with the cross bar contoured to fit the body side and also the flat screen edge and the "leg" angled to the same as the windscreen.

Thanks for your suggestion though. I have tracked down a local foundry which I will visit if all else fails.

Cheers, Jim.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the problem! You really need to track down a patternmaker. He should be able to coat your parts in "wax" to take account of the shrinkage.
Sadly I do not know of a solution to the bugging and polishing that does not involve sweat! (or maybe some sort of immoral act!! to persuade someone else to do it for you!)

PAUL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: