classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Steering wheel hubs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Steering wheel hubs Reply with quote

Does anyone know were I can find, if there is one, a chart with the size, dia, and spline count, of the steering column to match it to a vehicle manufacturer.

I can't find my old steering wheel for the DLM Embarassed

Same old story with trying to get parts, "Who is the manufacturer" "What model" What Registration"
When told " I don't know its on a special but I have the spline count and diameter"
"we can't do that we need to know the make or model"
I tell them "DLM1 Special - Sports - 1UHX"
"We can't find that"

So is there a chart that I can match the size and spline to a car.
Or am I going to have to strip out the column and carry it round to outlets.

Thanks
Roge
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

I don't know of any charts for steering wheel hubs but could you measure the outside diameter or the splined part and count the splines?

Peter
MVPeters

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Moto-Lita

http://www.moto-lita.co.uk/our-products/kit_wheels.aspx

I imagine their tech department would be able to match your measurements to something. Tapered shaft? Send a good picture.
I don't think there's much point is mentioning a DLM - do you know what vehicle the steering mechanism came from?

Mike
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter
it's 48 spline count and 7/8 dia

Mike
That is the problem, there is so much of a bitsa this and bitsa that to make up this car that ID'ing parts has been part of the fun, Evil or Very Mad

There is a bit of a write up of my car on here
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7815

As you can see, I know the rear axle, engine and gearbox but all the rest is a "Dose this fit" build. the wheels are a tailor made job as well.

Even the chassis, according to a professional classic restorer, is probably from three chassis.

The steering dose not match anything from any of the 'known' Laughing donor cars.

I know the steering wheel was a Moto-Lita and it had been signed by Stirling Moss.

Can't see myself having thrown it out.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hanging on a nail somewhere!

Can you borrow an early Land Rover wheel from someone? The spline count is correct, but I'm not sure about the diameter.

Moto-Lita are certainly bogged down with knowing the manufacturer, but I'll bet their tech department could reverse-engineer your specs - ie if you find the right boss, what other cars does it fit? & therefore where the steering column came from - which might help you in other areas.

I love 'Bitsas' ! E-Types, Rover 2000's & VW MicroBuses all use the same wheel bearings. My '32 MG had an Aquaplane Ford engine & Morris 8 axles. I read your DLM1 topic with interest.

Of course, living where you do, you should be able to JAM any old steering wheel on!

Mike
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

Given that your front axle appears to have Standard origin I rather suspect your steering column may be the same.

My SS also has 48 splines but is a larger diameter than your's but SS and post war, Jaguar also produced a 1½ litre car that used a smaller chassis than my car and I know that it also has a smaller diameter splined shaft.
This may very well be 7/8" diameter.

I think that the Standard 12 and 14 are also well worth investigating although it might be from the pre-war 8 or 10.

HTH

Peter
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter
This is were things get interesting.
We think the chassis side rails, front cross member, front axle and hubs are Standard 9.
But when said expert had another look somethings are familiar some missing as to a S9 nearside rail, the offside rail you can see were the steering box has been removed, the rear end of the side rails don't tally.

There is an obvious addition to the front, a second cross member has been fitted to take a rack and pinion steering.

The front axle and hubs look like S9, the brake backplates and brakes look to be from a ford 105e, not sure if 1959 was too soon for that.
The steering arms on the hub look tailor made.

The front wheels match, but don't fit, a known A7 Ulster who's wheels are from 'West London Wheels'
The rear wheels I had to have made for the 100E axle, WLW rings a bell, and I lived not too far from them in the 70's and had many a VW wheel modified for 205x15 or 205x14 tyres when working in St Johns wood.

I have emailed Mota-Lita with spec.

With all this uniqueness insurance will be interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: