classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Fuel Gauge Query
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
TonyBrooks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Fuel Gauge Query Reply with quote

Despite have 4 such gauges 'on the shelf' none worked! Having tested the transmitter with a multimeter I established that all was fine at the tank end. Bought a 2nd hand gauge and it reads backwards! i.e. when the tank is full the gauge reads empty and vice versa. The replacement gauge is a Smiths from a Triumph Spitfire and the reading is at the top of gauge i.e the need points 'north'. The Smiths gauge that was in the car has the reading at the bottom and the needle points south. Would this make a difference? I have tried all the options of reversing wires, changing polarity etc but no difference. Any suggestions?
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't quite get my head round the effects of unknowingly replaceing a thermo-static gauge with a moving/balanced coil gauge or vice versa. Thermo-static gauges move slowly, Moving coil gauges move instantly.

You don't say what car you are fitting it to or mention its age. Until probably the mid-1950s, most gauges were moving coil. I think that your Spitfire gauge is almost certainly thermo-static.

I do know that a thermo-static gauge will show no reading if disconnected from the tank unit whereas a moving coil gauge will show FULL (Ignition "0n" of course). Thermo-static gauges require a sender unit which passes most current with the tank full. Balanced coil gauges need one which passes the least current (highest resistance) with the tank full. The orientation of the dial or its markings does not matter except perhaps visually. Unless of course you are mixing manufacturers and the parts are not compatible. I hope this helps.

Please excuse me, but I cannot resist an anecdote here.
It is not generally appreciated that a hearse is a GOODS VEHICLE, and as such is (was?) required to be frequently presented on a weigh bridge for checking by the D.O.T. A Sheerline Hearse we operated just broke the 2 ton limit which took it into the more expensive higher category. Yet we always got under 2 ton. How? Well we made sure the petrol tank was virtually empty and then disconnected the fuel gauge sender so the (moving coil) gauge showed full. Deducting the allowance for fuel load at 7.5 lbs. per gallon knocked over 100lbs off the weighbridge reading, bringing it just under 2 tons (LOB Rick!).
Also, I don't know whether regulations have changed, but a hearse fitted into no testing category and never needed an M.O.T.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: