classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Dealing with rusted in bolts / nuts and more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Dealing with rusted in bolts / nuts and more. Reply with quote

What favorite liquid, propriety or home made, works for you ?

I have used Loctite's Freeze and Release on some really bad hub bolts and it worked.

Heating the area was a No-No because of the close proximity of the CV joint and there was every danger that the 1/2 dia bolt may shear off inside the hub housing.

After several sprays of various pentrating oil there had been no success. A neighbor brought around a spray can of this Loctite Freeze and Release and within seconds of its application there were crackling noises coming from the sprayed area. The two bolts came out using just an 18 inch long bar on the socket.

Wise to cover any rubber and wear gloves and be careful, I hate to imagine what it may do to the skin.

http://loctitefreezeandrelease.com/

47p2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel or ATF
rustyreks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: rusted bolts Reply with quote

It really depends on how important they are and where they are what ever you use the most important thing is to break the ring of rust to allow the penetrant to flow into the area that is seized whether it is achieved via wire brushing acid treatment freezing or heat or vibration these all will break this rust seal and then use crc wd40 or diesel auto transmission fluid if they are not important it is just as easy to use a cutting disc and cut them off a good tip is use the 1mm cutting discs so much better it saves alot in time and skinned knuckles and if badly rusted you dont want to reuse them i am all for reusing as many parts in good order as possible as i have spent more time doing restorations i do think often it is more practical to use the cutting disc it saves alot of grief if the nut cannot be access side on do a cut straight down the centre of the bolt cutting the nut in half and use a cold chisel to tap the halves off that works well and less damage to surrounding parts rustyreks
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a combination of liquid oxygen with liquid acetylene, blended and then ignited works really well!! Very Happy
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prerfe the Oxy/Acc - WD40 is not really very good - PlusGas is far better
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I find a combination of liquid oxygen with liquid acetylene, blended and then ignited works really well!! Very Happy

I've searched everywhere! I just cannot find a bottle of either on my shelves! Not even DISSOLVED Acetylene!

Last edited by Jim.Walker on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have some 'EEZIT' from my fathers days.
Heaven knows how old it is, but it seems to work fine for me.

Smells a bit like aniseed,
WD40 is over rated in my own opinion, and it is not a lubricant, as a lot of people think it is.
Ruined many a bicycle drive train.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We mostly used Duck Oil for difficult bolts etc. which was (is?) quite effective. I always suspected WD40 was mostly Duck Oil in an aerosol with a propellent sold at an exhorbitant price.
Redex has always served well in releasing stuck pistons for me. If it did not I considered dismantling was the only option.
Greg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard, many times, of people using Coca Cola or Pepsi poured over the offending siezed item, left to soak for a bit then undone !
Never tried it myself though Wink
Castellated nut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This list seems to be widespread on the web: -

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/penetrating-lube-test/13650/page1/

The 'load' units are presumably meant to be torque and are always given as pounds where this list is shown. Presumably they might be intended to be lb.inches, because a bolt that took 516 lb.foot to free would have to be about 3" diameter!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electrolysis, but have never tried it, meant to be great! hehe

I like oxy apache, just to be awkward, cheap but hotter than oxy propane. kind of a half way house in calarific values from propane to acetylene.

Double T spray, is quite good, and much cheaper than WD40

Duck oil is good, but the spray bottles provided with the stuff give up half way through the job, the seals rot.

Angle grinder is a last resort, then drill the bolt, and cave the threads in, before puncing the remainder out.

Or simmply cut the head off with the gas, and wash the threads out.

Any way I feel like I am begining to ramble now....

Cheers

Dave
Lomerc1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 50 - 50 mixture of Acetone and auto transmission fluid is very, very good at releasing rusted and stuck nuts and studs. You have to shake it well to mix it before using as the liquids will separate when left for a while. I have also used the Locktite Freeze and Release and its is good but the Acetone mix is about the best.

David
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Dealing with rusted in bolts / nuts and more. Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
What works for you ?

I have used Loctite's Freeze and Release on some really bad hub bolts and it worked.

I have wondered about freezer spray but never tried it. Certainly useful where heat will be destructive. Must get some.

Slightly OT but I've just discovered another useful spray, namely "Vic First Defence". I have no connection with this product but am impressed by its apparent ability to save you when a cold seems imminent.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: