classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tips for restorations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
rustyreks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Tips for restorations Reply with quote

Tips that have helped me as i am not that organised and tools get strewn from one end of the car to the other i now do a couple of things i use an open bucket as i go and drop the tools in when i have finished the job so simple clean up when i have finished.

I used to hunt around looking for open ring spanner now i connect them up on a piece of no 8 that is hooked at both ends so i unhook take off the spanner i need when i am finished i put it back on the wire now i always now where the spanners are.

I used to try and salvage every nut bolt and screw i have discovered it is quicker and less frustrating to remove unnessesary ones with a 1mm cutting disc i get way more achieved with less frustration.

I can relate to rivet 101 and havent a budget it is a labor of love so i dont put a price tag on it nor do i wish to sell them when i am finished.My goal is to do as much of restoration as i can for two reasons to cut the costs to a minimum and to develop the skills to restore these old vehicles.For me i am starting now by the time i retire i will be able to enjoy these old cars and do the rallys and have fun.
JonV2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Helpful Handy Home Hints Continued.... Reply with quote

Hi - Another tip for the organisationally-challanged!
I use one of those multi-boxes, you know like a fishing tackle box with the transparent lid, for all the nuts, bolts, springs etc. You can write on the lid in a permanent marker, and also see through to what is inside. Simply clean the writing off with metho etc when the contents change.

Also,
I also use a stocking (The wife's.. not mine) Laughing over a vacuum cleaner end to retreive nuts etc lost inside door skins etc. It's easier than skumming through the filter-bag.

An old speaker wrapped in cloth is great to catch swarf (filings etc) and then you pull the cloth away from the magnet without having to 'pick' all the filings off.

Cheers,
1959 XK150
First Bedford

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tips, especially magnet in cloth.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for restorations Reply with quote

rustyreks wrote:
less frustrating to remove unnessesary ones with a 1mm cutting disc .

The trouble is sourcing good replacements. (I'm thinking of BSF) The modern replacements just don't look right.

Peter
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that one of the biggest time-wasters was rooting through a box of bits trying to find a replacement screw , nut or washer.

I decided organisation was needed. Using plastic, square section, screw top containers, which came containing preserved fruit from the local supermarket. I marked the lid with size and BSF, BSW etc. and made a shelf to hold them.

I found I quickly became conversant with the markings of each thread type and drop good nuts and bolts in the appropriate container as I come across them. Now locating a replacement in seconds is quick and simple.

If I dismantle anything to throw it away or in a breakers yard etc. I always stick the nuts and bolts etc. into my pocket to replenish my stock and put them in the pots when I get home. The supply almost always seems to keep up with demand. Of course I don't save "duds".

I've now extended the system to include grommets, split pins and so on. I do wonder if I will get round shoulders from constantly peering at the ground though in case someone has dropped an unused split-pin!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: