classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Alvis TA 14 DHC Tickford restoration
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
alvis73

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Alvis TA 14 DHC Tickford restoration Reply with quote

Hello,

This is the story of the Alvis we bought in 2005 .. my wife was found on the internet and we bought it in Saint Malo.
It is a TA 14 Tickford DHC 1948, delivered to Brooklands garage in April 1948 and first registered in April 1949.
His car number is 22300.
The first owner was a doctor who uploaded the searchlight was right on the amount of windshield
the second owner had bought in 1968 and kept it until 2004. He ran a lot by going to many rallies in towing a trailer ... the rear suspension has suffered a bit ... and the engine also
I bought it with 80400 miles...
I re-started and I drove during the year 2005 and 2006 until October ... and I fell down the clutch due to oil leakage at the crankshaft bearing ...
I stopped the car and rebuilt all the engine during one year !!
You can see the pictures :
http://picasaweb.google.com/Alvis73/AlvisTA14DHCTickford1948EngineOverhauling#
the engine re started on august 2007...

An Alvis or nothing !!!

Last edited by alvis73 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
traction39

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnifique!!

Citroen Light 15 1953, "12" 1939,
Riley 9 Special 1932
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely car

the forum is now getting quite an Alvis gathering, 4 now with the woody.....
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5405

jason
alvis73

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some pictures about restoration of dashboard...

the dashboard before the transition from the carpenter ... It is walnut veneer "in the grain" that torture is less than the walnut ...
The wood doors are also restored: scraping, sanding, hard bottom, pore mouth, and finally I will learn to polish stamp ...
appointment at the cabinetmaker designer at the foot of the chateau, Chambéry, which I entrusted the job ... objective: the holes that will have nothing to return to something resembling the original ...

Before....

and after...

An Alvis or nothing !!!
alvis73

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First major work on the inside:
It appears that changes have been made, the windows do not descend to the bottom and thus convertible version, a metal frame is vertical, that aesthetic is not really ... it should withdraw to the passage of window, when the fast is lowered in the summer ... so I decided to open this and at the same time check and replace the wings of ice that seem tired ...
Following the advice of my saddler, I start the first major work: rebuilding door panels ... they have suffered much over time, support plywood flap in hand each time I close the door ... !
Visiting Casto, buy 2 plates 5-ply plywood, 1 jar of neoprene ... and beginning of dismantling the car ... the previous owner had nailed the trim with Finettes with a small forceps electrician, we start boning the car and signs on the table in the dining room. Madame .. sigh!
and we get a remainder of plywood to serve as a model ... taking care not to tear the leather very tired and I have fed oil to beef up a month before ...

making scores in pencil and copy paper to the existing part patched up ... we go to the jigsaw ... but on the terrace! to dust treatment ... hard bottom boards after sanding and cut corners softened ..

original leather is presented before bonding, to check the size ... it will be glued to the wood but on the back to allow flexibility to the skin and voila the result, the lower will the carpet after placement panel on the door

preparedness funds that are covered moletons for swelling, removal of piping, canvas and paper roll ... carefully to avoid damaging ... funds will be nailed as the source ...

Once all reassembled, tested on the door ... it has more look great, nothing bailey, all fits perfectly

An Alvis or nothing !!!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see the original leather being used, very interesting!

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
pryantcc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salut Jean Francois!!

My car has done about 140,000 miles, and when it is back driving again, I expect that I may need to do the same engine work which you have done! For now, though it runs OK although I have not driven it yet.

It's great to see another Alvis being used and loved!
alvis73

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was wonderful to drive with the snow !!

An Alvis or nothing !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: