classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Batt acid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
StoneRoad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Batt acid Reply with quote

Does anybody know from where I can buy battery acid - I have some traction batteries that need some electrolyte adding.

Not sure how much is needed (yet)

Areas I can get to are about an hour and a bit from Newcastle / Carlisle - I live between these two places. (Some other areas as well, depending on other commitments!)

Thanks in advance
StoneRoad
CMI-Cars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt it just destilaized water?
can seem to remember my dad used to poor that on the batterys before he got a new and modern car
1950 Ford Prefect E493A
1952 Ford Anglia E493A
1953 Volvo PV 831
3x1953 Ford Anglia E493A
3x1954 Ford Popular 104E
1955 Ford Popular 104E
1956 Ford Popular 104E
www.cmi-cars.com
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If they just need topping up, due to evapouration, distilled water will be fine, as the soloution will still dilute to the correct strength, if it is that the battery has fallen over/acid leaked out, then take it to your local battery shop as they will/should have it in stock to refill your battery. The local one to us will refill them, but dislike selling it, besides it comes in 25 litre drums.

Try:-

Manbat; Tel: 0191 565 8734| Unit 4C, Rivergreen Industry Centre, Pallion, Sunderland, SR4 6AD

Entek; Tel: 0191 2685054| Mylord Crescent, Killingworth, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear NE12 5XG

Cumbria Auto Services; Tel: 01228 401555| Rickerby Yard, Currock Rd, Carlisle, Cumbria CA2 4AU

Here is mylocal battery Supplier, they definateley do it; http://www.cheshirebatteries.co.uk/

Cheers

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

If you actually need the acid (rather than just distilled water top up) then any branch of Boots that has a pharmacy will sell you some sulphuric acid (H2SO4).

Or you can buy it on line below: a litre is about £7:

http://www.lpchemicals.com/product.php?N=Sulphuric+Acid+98+Percent+LR&Id=190

Both the stuff from Boots and above is concentrated so for battery use would need to be diluted 1/3 acid to 2/3 distilled water, add the acid to the water not the water to the acid!!

Thought that GCSE in Chemisrty would come in handy one day Laughing Laughing

Dave
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UkDave is right. You need Sulphuric Acid (H2SO4). Be sure not to buy Sulphurous Acid (H2SO3). The acid MUST be added to the (distilled) water to prevent violent and very dangerous splash-back. BUT DO NOT just pour it in! Best use a glass rod resting in the acid and flow it gently down the rod while wearing goggles and protective clothing. Neither the acid nor the water must come into contact with anything metallic or metallic salts will contaminate it. Glass containers are best.
The concentration of the solution is critical. I think it needs to be the same specific gravity as a fully charged battery, but I am unable to find my book which has the information. If too weak the battery performance will be poor and if too strong battery life will be reduced. Take advice on the specific gravity before mixing.

NO GCSE in Chemistry! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

We were looking for a pickling bath the other day for copper, didn't realise it was something you could buy from boots, might have to try and get soem at the weekend.

Whats the best container to hold the acid, what doesn't melt/corode? I know stainless doesn't, but any plastics?

I knew I could get it in large amounts from the farms, the sparayers I once worked on used to spray it, 70% proof to burn tops off, before harvesting. Nasty stuff, full rebuild every few years!

Cheers

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

You could use hydrochloric acid, the easiest way to buy it is acid based brick cleaner from any builders merchants, it will be about 33% acid which will be fine for your bath.

Polythene containers will be a fine, so an old washing up bowl will do the trick (or the existing one if your Mum is out! Very Happy )

I used to have a Satuday job at Boots, it was amazing the stuff (chemicals) that people asked for and Boots sold, mainly to amateur chemists, photographers etc, suphuric acid could be bought as as concentrate (about 97% because for some reason that I forget 100% is not stable) or if you asked for "battery acid" they would dilute it 33% acid 67% distilled water and charge the same price by volume as the concentrate !

Dave
StoneRoad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: traction batts Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for your help,

Said batts have been topped up with de-ionised water, and an overnight charge. They took, and kept the charge for a couple of days, and now
the vehicle has been used for several short journeys, and by the end of them, the batts were quite run down, and therefore have gone back on charge again overnight. We will see how they are tomorrow! (and repeat several times, before we see if they will need stronger measures!)

Thanks again.
StoneRoad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: next question! Reply with quote

The batts are working "OK-ish" but may well need quite a few more charge/use cycles before making any decisions! The little truck is proving very useful (and fun to drive!)

However, a friend has mentioned a product for "cleaning out" batteries, before refilling with fresh electrolyte. He says it is intended to remove "deposits" in the cells. The problem is, he could not remember what it was - either the trade/product name, or the chemical(s) involved.
Can anybody help??
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he may be thinking of EDTA. EDTA is a chemical compound which"dissolves" the old, charge resistant Lead Sulphate (sulphation) which can coat the plates preventing acid from getting at the still active lead sulphate beneath caused when a battery has been left in a discharged state.

It does work and can give a battery a bit longer life, but the sulphation removed represents part of the bulk of the active material and the battery capacity (amp/hrs) will be reduced.

I have not seen it advertised for years and a chemist I asked about it did not know what I was talking about.

I think that some time ago I saw reference to it on Wikipedia (internet), probably under Lead Acid Batteries.

Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: