classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Another dream achieved...Fiat 500...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
jennybugs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Another dream achieved...Fiat 500... Reply with quote

When I was a kiddie I adored the Herbie films and this is the reason I now own an old aircooled beetle as my daily driver.
I also adored the Italian Job and subsequently had mini's as my first two cars.
As a result of this film I also fell in love with Fiat 500's and vowed one day to own one.

Well, guess what? That's exactly what is about to happen! Cool

We are about to become owners of this semi restored little gem and I am so excited I just had to talk about it...
1971 500L already named Luigi Embarassed

the 6 foot plus OH gets in it but struggles to get out (not a worry for me - just means I get to drive it all the time!)

It's not immaculate by any means, but it is one tidy little chap and the price was even sweeter. You'd never guess how much! Shocked

We are also delighted to have found a parts stockists not so far away from us so we can finish tidying it up before we bring it home Very Happy

I hope you like it...we do! Laughing
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Love it Very Happy
Richard H

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice....and looks like an interesting garage as well, I wonder what all the cars under wraps are?

Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a great find!!!!

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
exbmc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Luigi! Reply with quote

Hey! It looksa likea Luigi too! I don't know what it is I find attractive about these little motors, but I have always had a soft spot for them. As an old git who drove quite a few, when they were current, I am pleased that a fair number are still around. The new model is just the best "retro" ever!
Good luck with your new toy!
jennybugs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brace yourself for what's under wraps...

2 Fiat Toplino's - 1 being the old King of Iraq's old car and the other was the first Fiat Top to be imported over to the UK after WWII in original condition!

Next to the fiat 500 is a Fiat Spyder late '70s model in brown.
Then next to that is a 1971 Fiat 600 in orignal condition.

The workshop is owned by a guy who used to be in the racing world (and did quite well judging by the trophies dotted about).

We're off down there next weekend to hear the little thing running and start putting a few bits and bobs back on.
The car just needs the usual servicing items as well as the headlamp so will be a little bargain costing us around £2000 all in on the road, mot'd, insured and registered Very Happy

Roll on with the sunny weather! Laughing

I have to admit to loving the new models too. I think Fiat have done well keeping the retro feel in a modern car and I wouldn't say no to a nice little Abarth version Laughing
Richard H

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennybugs wrote:
I have to admit to loving the new models too. I think Fiat have done well keeping the retro feel in a modern car and I wouldn't say no to a nice little Abarth version Laughing

I have to agree with you there. The new Fiat 500 is the only new car I like (although I'd much rather have an original any day) Wink

What a lovely little car you've got there Very Happy
jennybugs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My OH has a 'new' beetle and although it's a nice car, I don't get the smile factor I have when I jump into my old beetle! The heated seats are nice in the icy weather, but I do love sitting in my comfy old armchair style seats.

I am of the same mind as you about the newer Fiats being the only modern car I'd own happily.

I'm a big fan of classic Austins btw...another 'dreamer' for my list...do you know of any Essex-based monthly meetups for classic car owners at all? I know last year there was one talked about but I couldn't make it as I was about to undergo heart surgery Rolling Eyes Laughing
StoneRoad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Fiat 500 Reply with quote

OOHHHH!

I am really jealous, My mother had one for several years in the 1970s and I have so many memories of the little italian monster (It was very! self willed at times - more like a motorbike) and we went for miles on all sorts of expeditions. Ranging from shopping (Great for parking!) and half way across the country on holidays - not on a single motorway)

My father's first car was a Fiat 600, when I was a tiny child going on holiday with me and a trunk in the back seat! He had Fiats all his driving life. He is almost 91, but gave up both driving and his last car (my, by then late, mother's 126) in the late 1980s.
I was sorry to see all various family the cars go - for some reason FIATs seem to get under your skin, and make a spot next to your heart!.
Richard H

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennybugs wrote:

I'm a big fan of classic Austins btw...another 'dreamer' for my list...do you know of any Essex-based monthly meetups for classic car owners at all? I know last year there was one talked about but I couldn't make it as I was about to undergo heart surgery Rolling Eyes Laughing

Sorry, I've only just noticed this post. Anyway there is a monthly meeting that I'm going to start going to regularly. It's called the 'Chelmer Valley Car Meet' and is held on the last Thursday of the month at the Lodge pub on the A132 between Battlesbridge and South Woodham Ferrers, postcode SS11 7QT. It is an informal meeting of local classics, and there are cars there ranging from Morris Minors and Ford Corsairs to Jaguar E Types and American cars of all makes. We meet there from 8pm.

There should also be a contingent of A30/A35's on the 25th February Wink

It would be good to see you there Smile

Richard.
jennybugs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may well run up to meet you one evening in my Beetle. You won't be able to miss me...bright orange and covered in flowers Laughing
Failing that, in the summer months I will definately bring the Fiat out for a pootle Very Happy
It's not a million miles away from me so I will look forward to it Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: