classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

check your stored points
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
P3steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: check your stored points Reply with quote

Just put new plugs and points in my Rover P3 ready for the new season and while doing so put a new low tension wire from the coil as well as the insulation was breaking up on the old one, when I went to start it there was no spark, back tracking through all the parts I had fitted I couldn't find a fault and the 12v feed from the coil seemed strong but then I found it wasn't going to earth when the points closed, a friend who looked in and who is an auto electrician from years past said "were the points new" I confirmed that it was a new set of Lucas points one of about three sets I had picked up many years ago he said just open the points and run a fine bit of wet and dry over the contacts as if they have been stored for years they get a sort of greasy film over them that stops them working. True enough as soon as that was done it burst into life so watch out if you have brought points for future use and are storing them as if my friend hadn't of come by I could be out in the garage still now trying to figure it out
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get exactly the same problem with Lucas Control Box's, when they have stood for a few years even NOS, often don't work until the contacts are cleaned!

By the way the cut out contacts on them are silver so need very gentle cleaning!

Dave
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that in my younger days Lucas points came with protective coating on the contacts and instructions to wipe the contacts with a petrol rag before fitting. That was in the days when points (sensibly so you could re-dress the contacts) came as live and earth as separate parts.
Jim.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even fine "wet & dry" is a little too abrasive for electrical points. A stone is much preferable as long as you can dismantle the contact set.
Jim's idea of a solvent will be enough to remove the film of grunge.

I was told that a folded one pound note was sufficient.
I suppose you could use a ten bob note, but it woud take twice as long.

Mike
petelang

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas did apply a preservative to the contact faces and you are quite right that it just needs a solvent to wash it off. The preservative is to avoid long term oxidation in storage.
exbmc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: contacts Reply with quote

Years ago, and certainly into the 60's, it was routine to clean contacts during servicing. New ones were fitted about every other service, but in between, a Lucas? machine was used. This had a vertical wheel about 2" diameter with a gentle abrasive disc which you wound by hand, while holding each half of the contact set in turn against it. Newer contact sets had less meat on them, so they became throw away. Also, the moving contact became half the size of the earthed one. A clean petrol rag was needed to degrease the points before fitting.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did indeed have a hand operated points cleaning machine and a very good job it did too, but I did not mention it because I did not think anyone else would remember. The grinding disc had a small crank handle on the back and two small tables at the front had a variety of pivot pins and holes intended to accomodate a wide variety of contact sets. The objective was to remove the "peak and pit" on the contacts rather than just clean them, so that a feeler gauge would produce an accurate gap. I don't think it was Lucas and it became obsolete when the later practice became to produce points sets as inseperable parts.

Refacing points was always satisfactory as long as there was still sufficient hardened tip to reface and the heel was not too worn. As for the (replaceable) grinding discs - they were similar to what would today be called "production paper).There was never any evidence that it was too coarse.
dclf1947

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

This a TruPoint version but I believe there are others.

Dave
Philippines

[img][/img]
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! That's the one!

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: