classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rover P4 100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
cjbss9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Rover P4 100 Reply with quote

Hi all can anyone give me the details of what leather restoration products you have used with good results and where you get it from. It is for a 1961 Rover P4 100 with green leather, the rear seat is dry and cracked and the front is dry cracked and torn cheers as always Chris Wink
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Gliptone products with good results - softened up the leather in my '54 RME a treat. Here's the link: http://www.liquidleather.com/
cjbss9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Very Happy they have my model and colour aswell, gonna do this for this year then fork out £300-400 on reconditioning the seats next year. Cheers Chris
Richard H

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend Gliptone Liquid Leather, not only does it soften the leather but it cleans it as well. We got excellent results on our old A40 Somerset. Wink
cjbss9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys!! nice one!!
Castellated nut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Connolly's Hide Food (is it still around?), then switched to Wheeler's Leather Balm, which I thought was good, but Wheeler's now only seem to make a product more suitable for leather sofas, so I'm looking for a replacement.

The "Leather Conservation Centre", though, http://www.leatherconservation.org/ seems to reckon that leather treatment products are likely to do more harm than good. I corresponded with them by email and their reply was: -

"Generally we do not recommend using leather dressings because we find that, apart from being irreversible, they can cause damage to the leather. This is particularly the case if too much is used or used too often. The long term effects of over-oiling leather are that oils and fats can encourage bio-deterioration, spue (white residue on the leather), oxidise and stiffen the leather, discolour (ie darken) and stain, leave a sticky surface and wick onto nearby material, soften the original finishes and decoration, attract dust and impede future conservation treatments. It can also lead to splits in the leather where the fibres slide apart. The solvents in dressings can also affect surface finishes. So, dressings have lots of potentially disastrous side effects."

I must admit I'm a bit sceptical (and I'd like to know what they use for their own leather conservation service). If I've got some dry, brittle leather, I want to get treatment on it PDQ! I can't say I've ever seen much improvement, though.

Some sources seem to reckon "British Museum leather dressing" is the real thing, but you do have to mix your own - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Museum_leather_dressing
victor 101

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading somewhere that hide food used to be made with animal fat but this is no longer the case. Also most of the products today are for a 3 piece suite or a handbag, not the type of leather used in older cars. I need to do the seats in my Bentley but like you im unsure what to use but am edging towards Glyptone.
cjbss9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately going with the liquidleather cant find anyone else at the mo who colour matches like they do
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ
There is a coach trimmer Netto's side of the bridge in Heybridge street

Almost on the bridge, just after you come around the bend, if coming from Maldon, he's on the left, just a small parking area.
He might be able to give you some advice.

Might be easier to park in netto's and walk back.

Roger

Last edited by Roger-hatchy on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
cjbss9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh he is just up the road from me(literally) but very expensive, i will possibly ask for advice though.
Chris
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have popped in there a couple of times and got advice readily given
Mind you that was a few years ago.
cjbss9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice i will go in later on today or tomorrow
pryantcc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let us know what you find out.

My seats have had some kind of cleaning and colour restoring done about 20 years ago and have not been used since. They look great, but the leather does feel very dry ot the touch and I'm not sure how it will stand up to some use.

If I could and it would be beneficial, I'd like to treat it with something that would help it to remain supple and not crack/tear when I put by behind on it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: