classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1972 Volvo P1800ES starts then dies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: 1972 Volvo P1800ES starts then dies. Reply with quote

A problem a friend has. I am unfamiliar with this type and can offer no suggestions not already tried. An AA man admitted defeat and gave up after about four hours!
The car has an early form of petrol injection.

Turning the key produces instant starting, but the engine dies almost immediately. Jumping direct from battery to coil makes no difference so the problem would appear not to be the ignition switch. All likely electrical connections have been cleaned and the petrol feed pump checked for flow. Haynes Manual offers little help except to subsitute known good units for original parts until the problem is solved. It does not say where you source "known good units" for a vehicle of this rarity and age.

Has anyone met this problem, or has anyone sufficient familiarity with the fuel system fitted to offer advice I can pass to my friend?

Jim.

Last edited by Jim.Walker on Thu May 06, 2010 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
47p2

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the coil have a ballast resistor?
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47p2 wrote:
Does the coil have a ballast resistor?

No. Sorry I forgot to say that had already been suggested.

One thing which may be pertinent is that the car was just prior to the problem taken for a steam clean, but it seems the cleaner squirted it with de-greaser and pressure washed it instead. It has not run properly since.

Thanks for the suggestion - Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: