classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1968 JAG
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: 1968 JAG Reply with quote

Well I may as well own up to having a jag on the go.

It's a 1968 Mkii 240 ( the morse type) auto box wit hte 2.4 engine.

All the interior is stripped out now and in the fron bedroom and front sitting room all carefully wrapped and labeled.
ll I need now is the running gear out / engine out and then it's off for a dip and strip to see what the rust damage is. Surprisingly enough there is no rust in the usual palces on the MKii but the front drivers jacking point and front cross member are well shot.
[/img]
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Are you an old timer when it comes to restoration? (don't take that the wrong way, I am not trying to call you old, but just can't think of a better way of putting it!).

Cheers

Dave
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Forgot to say, feel free to join in on the mini chat for the Market Drayton mini club section!

Cheers

Dave
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Hi

Are you an old timer when it comes to restoration? (don't take that the wrong way, I am not trying to call you old, but just can't think of a better way of putting it!).

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Nop, brand spanking new to resorations, must be an age thing, get to mid 40's then start playing with toys in the garage,lol.

The mini was the first and I picked that as it is a mini and i loved messing about with them years ago. It wasn't restoration then, more keeping them on the road as long as possible.

I only made a couple of mistakes but it taught me patience and servitude like no other thing. It took me 6.5 hours to get the rear subframe on by myself but would I helll as like let it beat me. Also everything is correct as it was going to be for my son so nothing was spared being renewed or refurbished etc.

If you think of it car restoration is only like a big expensive jigsaw puzzle that eventually goes back together or you pack in half way through. For me, I've wanted this particular jaguar, the actual car in all it's glory for over 7 years now and eventually I've got it so I must have patience therefore I'll have the patience to restore and modify it. ( is that word one that shalt not be spoketh of??)
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chimpchoker, and a belated welcome to the forum!

I dont think that anyone on here objects to the word 'modify' but only as long as its something that can be put back to original - whatever that is - at a later date! You only have to look at some of the cars!

Did you look at he alphabet poem? Theres a line in that that refers to Jaguars! Laughing

UJ
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Hi Chimpchoker, and a belated welcome to the forum!

I dont think that anyone on here objects to the word 'modify' but only as long as its something that can be put back to original - whatever that is - at a later date! You only have to look at some of the cars!

Did you look at he alphabet poem? Theres a line in that that refers to Jaguars! Laughing

UJ

To me the word modify is renewing the brakes to the 21st century standard and fitting seat belts etc. The jag forum I'm on has a concours section and one on there has kept his ( virtually) fully restored car off the road for 8 years because he can't find an original piece of rubber pipe !!!!!!

I also love to wind him up....it seems so sensless having spent, he says $45,000 only to have it sitting in the garage because of a bit of hosepipe....

I'll check out the alphabet poem soon.

alan
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cc

Have you had chance to do any spannering lately? would be interested to see more pics of the Jagoooar if you have any?

cheers
Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had much time recently haveing tried to stave of the pending closure of my candlemaking business but when we have worked it out this financial year has seen me earn the princly sum of £2.21 or so A DAY in wages. This is brought into stark reality when the average wage in hartlepool is around £14k a year and taxi drivers get around £25k PA so I'm off to be a taxi driver and then I'll have more money for the jag.

Since Christmas all I've got done is to remove the the boot, bonnet and glass but to date the inside is stripped out now, and the engine and running gear is ready to be removed. I've managed to reclaim the "lost" photographs and memos from the crashed hard drive so they are safe now.

Since I last posted on here I have had a good quote for the mini insurance so that needs a couple of cosmetic jobs finishing off this month to ready it for tax and insurance in April.

Mind you I have the spare bedroom (well it is spare once you chuck the guest matress out of the window into a rainny garden when the wife is out, lol) part cleaned out to accomodate the bits I've stripped off the jag....All I need do now is convince my wife it would be a good idea to move the computer downstairs to the living room then I can have the full spare bedroom for the jag bits......

Well it's either that or the jag bits go in the living room.......

I'll try to get some more photo's this weekend.
DELETED

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you wonder what the DELETED thing is about, there were some posts that smacked of spam so were removed en masse by yrs truly

Rick
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Hi cc

Have you had chance to do any spannering lately? would be interested to see more pics of the Jagoooar if you have any?

cheers
Rick

YAYYYYYY got some spannering done on Sunday. Been in this new job now for three months...... honest this week sees me there for 13 weeks which might not sound much to you normal type people but I generally get board **** after about 3 days or end up throwing things ( mainly nives is appears) at bosses after 3 or 4 days so 13 weeks ...... and without a days holiday I might add is a terriffic milestone for me. Sadly it's that time of life when I come home and 30 seconds after tea it's fall asleep time on the setee, lol. Anyway, I got out into the garage yesterday for about three hours and did a little bit. It was only a little bit which was to remove the windscreen wiper motor and remove the two hinges for the bonnet.

It took three hours as I photographed everything in double triplicate and cleaned everything before wrapping them in bubblewrap and labeling them before ensconsing them into the spare bedroom that is now the jagaur store room...... well she did want the old bed removing so what was a bloke to do with an empty spare room.......

Still it was incredibly theraputic and a timely reminder that at 46 (tomorrow) I am still ok to play with spanners......

Speaking of photographs if you want to see what my jaguar looks like in the press the october edition of the classic cars magazine ( the one with the wings on the front cover top) has a write up on the MKii and I'm featured in it. Crap write up and all I can say is journalistic licence as I never wrote half of what the author did but hell I'm in the magzines now.....
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I will look out for the magazine, but try to remind me later in the week!

Cheers

Dave
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Hi

I will look out for the magazine, but try to remind me later in the week!

Cheers

Dave

Actually it was only a small 1/4 column piece for me and really I should just scan it and post it here all being well.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on getting in a magazine! If you can keep nibbling away at a car, even just 30 mins an evening, things do get achieved which feels nice Smile

R
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That was shown by mr Dibnah, doing his engines, he spent every evening in his shed, and over years he had two great engines!

Anyway, sorry for the driffting there!

I look forward to the scan in of the column!

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: