classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Bertie`s rear bumper and lights...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
bertie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Bertie`s rear bumper and lights... Reply with quote

As I said in the last post, the bumpers arrived from ebay Smile . The front bumper is a useful spare as the existing one is really good. The rear bumper looked sound, and the initial lining up showed a lot of promise Very Happy ..

So I started on the renovation...hmm! Not quite as easy as I thought it was going to be - an hour later and my arm was falling off after filing/sanding/straightening for what seemed an eternity Sad Rolling Eyes ! Bit by bit though, I started to see a gradual improvement in the surface - smoother, rust disappearing, peeling ancient chrome plating going etc Smile . Eventually I was satisfied with the surface.. priming ( 5 times ), spraying (5 coats) and lacquering ( 4 coats ) it..

Now came the part I was not looking forward to - the rear lights Confused . Obviously accurate measurement was imperative as a fraction of an inch out and it wouldn`t look right Shocked . I also had the additional problem of slightly changing the original positioning of them as they`re circular and wouldn`t fit "flush" on the slightly curved surface of the wings Confused . Because the original lights were rectangular and narrower, the slightly curved surface didnt present a problem. So after drilling nervously, filing out to size and popping them in..

..a definite improvement Smile ! The light units securing and wiring in was straightforward and both stop and tail bulbs work fine Smile . The final step was fitting the bumper using the original coach bolts which lined up perfectly ( and luckily! ). I brought him out of the garage so I could see the finished result..

..and I have to say I`m pretty pleased Laughing . The offside of the bumper has a slight kink because it came with overriders..

..which I removed as since there are no overriders on the front I didnt think they would look right. I`ve kept them of course with the intention of fitting at a later date in case two front ones come along! All in all, I think he`s now starting to look the part a bit more. Thanks for reading...ttfn Smile
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, that looks so much better! Very Happy

Well done on finding a decent bumper for it, and those light really suit it! Certainly 100% better than the modern ones it used to have Wink

Great work! Cool
Greg

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very smart indeed, the bumper looks much better than the towel-rail style one it had, the lights are a great improvement as well. Smile
JR FLYWHEEL

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: As posted Reply with quote

Hi,

As a pop owner myself ive been following your posts with interest. Please continue with your updates on progess.

Good photos too.

Cheers JRF Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: