classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

midget windscreen seal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Finch661

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: midget windscreen seal Reply with quote

i am in the process of replacing the windscreen seal in my midget, and i dont really know how to fit the new one? has anyone had any experience with this?

thanks Wink
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume The rubber fits over the screen then a lip fits over the body/screen surround?

If it's the same we used to wrap a length of string in the slot of the beading that fits over the body lip , press the string in to the slot and overlap about by 50% overlap, the overlap centred at the top we found easier

Offer up the screen to the body, with one person pressing on the screen and one pulling on the string inside, work your way around with pressure on the screen and string pulling in the same areas. don't need too much pressure
A wet with soapy water, as per tyre fitting, helps as well

Roger
Finch661

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah thats pretty cool!
i am in the process of replacing all the body seals on mg (too much water getting in Sad) do you think a similar method could be used to replace the windscreen to main body seal aswell? (i thought that job would be easy...but its not...)
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cautionary note!

One of my worst memories is of using string instead of strong cord and when the going got tough grabbing a pair of pliers, which happened to be snipe nosed, to help pull the string.

The string broke! The pliers went into my right eye! It was over 45 minutes later in hospital where I was finally persuaded to open my eye! The only good memory is that the pliers had missed the pupil and I could still see! Though painfully! Sad Mad Shocked
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Jim
Thing is I have so much nylon twine, string, cord tec. lying around and tend to forget 'string' is not so strong.

Finch661
I think you will find this method will do for most rubber 'grommet' type fixing will work, it did for me when replacing all rubbers on a VW Karman Beetle ragtop, even for crome into rubber light surrounds.

As Jim said make sure the string/cord is strong enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: