classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The Ultimate Garden Ornament...EE Lightning T5!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
XL391

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
I worked at Patchway for BS/RR between '66 and '70.
It was a dispersal field for the Vulcans, when the were running up and doing a scramble TO the whole factory shook.

Very Jealous!! My favourite aircraft of all time, i've seen a 4 bird scramble on tape, sadly never in real time. Not likely to either!! Were you based there when this happened:

Quote:
UK Flight Testing Accidents 1940-71
Derek Collier Webb
ISBN 0 85130 311 1

Gives the following account of this accident:

Delivery flight to Filton from Boscombe Down for engine handling trials with the Olympus B.01 21 engine. The aircraft had been allotted to Handling Sqn to enable flight trials to be undertaken to update the advanced issue Pilot's Notes. The Captain Flt Lt Wareham had 15 hours on type and the co-pilot Mr Frost none. After touching down fast, from an ACR 7 approach, 550 yards beyond the threshold on a flooded runway in moderate rain at Filton, the pilot applied the wheel brakes with no apparent effect. The drag parachute was then deployed but again no retardation was felt. Engine power was applied 600 yards from the end of Runway 10 and an overshoot executed, the aircraft was pulled off the ground 50 yards from the end of the runway. During the overshoot the aircraft struck a sodium light bursting four of the eight starboard bogie tyres and struck a commercial garage situated at the end of the runway, blowing all four petrol pumps away, damaging two cars, and hit the street lighting. As the aircraft climbed, the streamed brake parachute fell away. The aircraft then diverted to St.Mawgan and landed safely. The weather at Filton was marginal for the Vulcan especially using the ACR 7, which the captain had never before flown in a Vulcan. This had been compounded by the failure of the brake parachute to fully deploy.

Penman wrote:
They were much louder and had more bottom end vibration than the Olympus 593 test bed Vulcan which was based there.

Yes, the 593 testbed was a B1 equipped with Olympus 100 series engines. The Vulcans on dispersal will have been the B2 variant with the larger and much more powerful Olympus 200/300 series engines, hence the extra noise! Wink

Will

1972 Daimler Sovereign 4.2 Series 1
1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Penman

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Tom Frost was chief test pilot while I was there and the garage was already gone so I wonder if the crash was the future TSR2 engine test bed.

Quote:
XA894 flew with five Olympus engines, the standard four plus an underbelly supersonic Olympus 320 fed from a bifurcated intake starting just aft of the wing leading edge and inboard of the main intakes, in a mock-up of the TSR2 installation. This aircraft was burned out on the ground on 3 December 1962.[37] Another five Olympus Vulcan was B.1 XA903. The test engine was a 35,080 lbf (156.0 kN) Olympus 593, the type used on the Concorde, mounted underbelly in a mockup of a single Concorde nacelle. The first flight was on 1 October 1966 and testing continued through to June 1971.[38]

In April 1973 XA903 flew with an underbelly Rolls-Royce RB.199 turbofan destined for the Panavia Tornado. It was mounted in what was essentially one side of a Tornado, including reheat and thrust reverser.[39]

Incidently I understand they also lost a fire appliance in the fire that destroyed 894.
For some reason it had been positioned downhill from the aircraft and burning fuel, of course, runs downhill.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Richard H

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:

You see alot of aircraft in playgrounds, like you did steam rollers, the steam rollers have become a rarer sight now with there value increase, councils sold them off, and also the health and safety factor probably played a part, aircraft will probably go the same way!

I remember playing in a SeaKing helicoptor when I was little, I could never get into the cab, as I wasn't tall enough, in the same park was a Tank of some sort, not sure what it was, it was all welded closed, as to not get in side.

Cheers

Dave

There is a park in Dorset (I wish I could remember where, possibly either Poole or Dorchester) that had up to a couple of years ago an old steam roller, painted red, blue and yellow as a climbing frame. I remember thinking what a waste...

Also when I was about five I remember playing in an 1950's (Bedford?) fire engine and an equally old milk float which had been turned into climbing frames at Drusillas Zoo near Hastings. No idea if they're still there.

Getting back to planes, I pass this one regularly, Vulcan XL426.

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My E83W van came from Southend, remember seeing the rear of 426 as we drove by.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
XL391

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Tom Frost was chief test pilot while I was there and the garage was already gone so I wonder if the crash was the future TSR2 engine test bed.

It was an early B2, IIRC XH554 or XH557.

Penman wrote:
Incidently I understand they also lost a fire appliance in the fire that destroyed 894.
For some reason it had been positioned downhill from the aircraft and burning fuel, of course, runs downhill.

Some pics for you, apparently the fire engine was brand spanking new! Can anyone identify what it is in the last picture?

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the fire engine was based on the S type Bedford?? ie same front end as the Green Goddesses??

R
XL391

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hearing this Lightning has now been sold, more details when I get them. Hope it's not the scrap man...

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed the info onto Duxford, one can hope.
Dax Rush
XL391

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she's been dismantled and is now with her new owner. Some pictures of her dismantling can be found here.

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
P3steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like they did the job properly and dismantled it rather than cut it talking to some guys at an air museum once they brought a plane and the company employed to transport it not understanding the dismantling points and cut the wings clean off making a lot of work for the museum to put back together
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XL391 wrote:
Well, she's been dismantled and is now with her new owner. Some pictures of her dismantling can be found here.

thanks for the update, I was wondering who'd dived in to buy it

R
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Clarkson???? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Not a garden ornament I know but today there was a VC10 shooting approaches at BAC Warton.
Kept seeing it in the vicinity of Leyland/Penwortham.
It appeared to be in RAF grey without any insignia, had pods under the wings but surely they are no longer being used as tankers..
Does anyone know if they are undergoing refurbs at the moment and what role do they now have?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
XL391

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Not a garden ornament I know but today there was a VC10 shooting approaches at BAC Warton.
Kept seeing it in the vicinity of Leyland/Penwortham.
It appeared to be in RAF grey without any insignia, had pods under the wings but surely they are no longer being used as tankers..
Does anyone know if they are undergoing refurbs at the moment and what role do they now have?

Yep, they're still being used as tankers! Although the rundown of the fleet has started, all are being delivered to Bruntingthorpe for spares recovery and scrapping, the first two having arrived in April.

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Concorde programme on C4 this evening...

R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: