classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Boiling battery
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
therobbiesmith

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are having problems with rotor arms, check out the thread on here about red rotor arms - it could save you a lot more grief.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a very quick comment:

(I did refresh my memory with the Lucas .pdfs. They are an invaluable reference, but somewhat overkill for this discussion! )

One thing you might consider is that the dynamo & the regulator need to be 'matched' to each other - that is, although all regulators are functionally the same, there's not a whole lot of interchangability.

In the case of the 1800, if the dynamo checks out OK & is the correct one for the car, you need to find the 'correct' RF95 unit.
In the case of Roger's car I think he needs to find 'exactly' which dynamo he has & therefore 'exactly' which regulator is needed.

There's another Lucas .pdf here:

http://www.1978mgmidget.com/Lucas_Generator_and_Control_Box_Tests.pdf

which may help identify the dynamos.

I still think a quick trip to the local knackers yard is the quickest solution!

Mike
Kelsham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: boiling battery Reply with quote

May be a success to report.

I have thought that before so fingers crossed.

I ended up with a new dynamo and regulator fitted, and it seems to be behaving itself.

Now for the MOT test.

regards Kels.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck

So far all's well with mine as well
But like most things after a re-build or repair you start to hear, or think you hear, start to notice, or think you notice, things that might be wrong.

Yet so far no oil loss, battery Ok, driver ????.
Well not everything can be right

As said, Good luck and hope all's sorted

Roger
Kelsham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: boiling battery Reply with quote

Well the 1800 passed the MOT, on the way back the battery gassed up again badly???

four new regulators, new dynamo, wiring all checked, I need a rest home.

The voltage when checked was 16 volts,

this regulator was checked by the supplier on his test rig and passed as fit.

I will adjust the voltage down on the adjuster and see what happens.

regards Kels.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try connecting from the regulator "E" terminal direct to the battery earth terminal. It still sounds to me as if you have a high resistance in the earth wiring from the regulator to earth.

You did not say how you established the earth connection was "good". The correct way is to connect a voltmeter between the earth BLADE on the regulator and battery earth with the earth wire still connected and the engine charging. A reading of more than 0.2 volts indicates an unacceptably bad connection.

Jim.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: boiling battery Reply with quote

I actually substituted the complete wire, and took the earth directly to the battery. I have just been outside and adjusted the regulator to give 14.4 volts.
I will give it a road test and report back. Regards Kels.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: boiling battery Reply with quote

Well, after adjusting the regulator the battery seems to have stopped gassing. The regulator supplier insisted that they were set correctly in his workshop.

I am just glad the problem seems resolved, last time I reported a success the battery began gassing again.

On to the next problem hesitant acceleration just as if the dash pot piston is sticking.

Regards Kels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: